spilled red bull on my mbp unibdy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duckkg5, Apr 25, 2009.

1. duckkg5 macrumors member

duckkg5

yes, it's finals week during my last year at college, so naturally I'd do something stupid like spilling red bull on my new computer.

Just a little bit of liquid spilled towards the top of the keyboard. It looks like most of the liquid went in between the hinge. I wiped it off, turned it off and it's now upside-down in my bathroom (standing open like an upside-down "V"). I tried blow drying it a little with a hair dryer (cool air, not hot).

What else should I do?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Wait at least three days to try to turn it on. Leave the battery out of it. And don't leave it in the bathroom if you take a shower. ;)

3. insignificantMB macrumors member

Take the battery out.

4. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Throw it out the window and see if it flies. ;):p

You can't really do anything else than what you have already done.

5. duckkg5 thread starter macrumors member

duckkg5

took out the battery. I need a few things due this week off of it - is there any way to get any data off without turning it on? I have an iMac, is there any way to boot my iMac from my MBP hard drive? And is there any way to expedite the process?

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If you need your data with the quickness you'll have to order an external enclosure and hook that up, or if you can find an enclosure over at best buy or something and pop your drive in. If you're really desperate you can buy something like a wd passport and crack it open, but that may be a lot of trouble (since the enclosure will have to be damaged in the process)

Anyway, you can get one of these
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182138

cheap and it works well (I have one that I use for my stock mbp drive)

NE could get it to you as fast as tuesday but you'll have to bend over for shipping + rush processing lol.

Whatever you do I would take the hard drive out now just in case.

7. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

I use my WD Passport as an external exclosure all of the time. Just be gentle and open it like a mac mini (using a screwdriver). Mine is an older model, however i dont think the design has changed much.

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I believe the unibody's are easy to get the hdd's out of. Just flip off the battery cover, take the battery out and there is 1 screw from what i can remember holding the hdd in place.

9. duckkg5 thread starter macrumors member

duckkg5

AH great idea. I opened up my hitachi external HD and swapped out my MBP HD and now I'm copying all my data onto another external HD. This'll make it so I can get my work done while the computer dries for 3 days. Thanks!

10. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Cool.. that is the best case Scenario I would guess..

As I have cleaned SEVERAL Audio Consoles from "liquid attacks" in the past 20 years, I learned that WATER is most often the best and possibly ONLY Cleaner to remove several contaminants (ie. COKE) Expensive cleaning solutions often do nothing at all..

Accordingly, I can't see the Red Bull mess coming off with any cleaner better than water quite likely.. you may have to "carefully clean" it after Finals sometime...

Hope it goes well and Please Post afterward to let us know!!

:apple:

11. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

redbull is bad, its gonna leave a super sticky mess when it "dries"

12. JimmyDreams macrumors 6502

Battery out.

Compressed air.

Lots of it.

Wait a few days.

Cross fingers.

13. emt1 macrumors 65816

I guess I'm kind of getting tired of seeing "OMG I SPILLED" threads.

14. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

15. duckkg5 thread starter macrumors member

duckkg5

ok i waited a couple days and plugged it back in (it took me about 20 minutes to realize the battery cover switch has to be flipped UP for it to fit ...). Initial thoughts: It booted up fine. I don't know if it's just because the computer hasn't warmed up, but it's a little slower than usual. I can hear it "thinking" kinda now, the sort of light clicking noises going on inside the computer ... again, could be because it isn't warmed up. But it's on and I'm on it now and I'm happy for the time being. Let's hope it stays this way. Thanks for everyone's help!

16. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Please follow up on how your MBP fares; I'm curious about seeing how a laptop works out after a liquid spill. Best of luck to you.

17. duckkg5 thread starter macrumors member

duckkg5

I don't want to jinx it, but everything seems to be working fine. Though it was a pretty minor spill, some liquid definitely found its way inside the computer ... and also of note is that I only waited 2 days, not 3 as someone suggested.

18. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Happy for you :D. Just make sure not to gamble with liquids around your laptop in the future.

19. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

How much did you spill? Can you still put it to sleep? :p

20. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

:D Yeah... I kinda am hankering for one of the more fun, "Holy Crud! I ran over my MBP with my tricycle, it's in 3 pieces, and now it wont boot!" threads.

To the OP: At least I'm happy for you that it's still working. :) Try to be careful. That's about the best suggestion anyone can really make.

21. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

I would take it apart and clean the mainboard once you get some time on your hands.