Spilled Reverse Osmosis Water on 2014 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eliseeeeey, Jan 31, 2015.

1. eliseeeeey macrumors newbie

I Spilled Reverse Osmosis Water on 2014 Macbook Pro. I dried it off immediately, with the computer on its side (frantically wiping off water), then immediately took a q tip to the edges of all the keys to soak up as much water as possible, then flipped the computer upside down entirely, propped up with a box on either edge, and positioned a fan blowing in there..circulating air.

How long should I let it dry before turning it on, and do I need to worry about corrosion being that it was reverse osmosis filtered water?

I also have geek squad coverage for the next 2.5 years. If it does go bad, will they cover it and would they be more willing to cover it now vs later if corrosion showed?

Here is my setup currently. Any suggestions welcome.

[​IMG]

2. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

First of all, you need to explain what's a reverse osmosis, i doubt there are many chemists at MR forums :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis

If your warranty allows, you could tear down your macbook pro to check how much water got inside - because your time of waiting directly depends on amount of water. Also (in case there is water on motherboard) if you remove it out of case it would dry out quicker

At least you should remove a bottom plate - thats allowed by any warranty - because if its closed,
    then its more difficult for water to vaporize out of your MBP

3. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

From a high school working student opinion, reverse Osmosis doesn't lower the water's conductivity down to less than 1 microsiemens or resitivity at 18 MOhm. You will need multiple stage ion exchange for that. As such your reversed osmosis water can easily short out your mac. Your rmbp might run fine for a short time though while submerged in Ultrapure DI water (which is < 1 microsiemen this is purer than distilled water which is around 2 microsiemens).