Spilled Soda on BT keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kanthony, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Kanthony macrumors member

I spilled some soda on my BT keyboard a few days ago, the keyboard works fine and I've continued to use it daily since the incident but a few keys are sticky (in particular the F2, F3 and F4 keys) is there a way to disassemble the keyboard to clean it or a way to clean the keys without disassembling it? It doesn't seem like there's a way to but I figured I'd ask anyway.

2. Kanthony thread starter macrumors member

If it is a keyboard:

If they will come off, carefully pry the keytops off the keyboard, and use pure water to rinse. If there is no pooling of water under the keys, don't introduce water there, go with an alcohol swab on the circuits rather than a rinse.

If they will come off?

3. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

yes they will be you have to be really careful, I always break off plastic everytime I try fixing the Apple Wireless Keyboards

4. drambuie macrumors 6502a

If nothing else works, the best bet is to soak the keyboard, minus batteries, in distilled water for a day, or so, and agitate it every few hours. Don't use tap water if it has high mineral content. Shake the keyboard to remove pooled water, then let it dry for a few days.

The recommended method for cleaning original IBM PC keyboards was to remove the keycaps, (made to be easily removed), and wash the keyboards in an automatic dishwasher, minus dish detergent and heat drying cycle.