Spilled Soda on MBP

Chucktownwhat

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
So I spilled some soda on my macbook, it landed on the trackpad and the space bar. Mopped it up quickly but I am having trouble clicking the track pad. I have it set up with touch to tap so I can still use the multi touch gestures, click, and scroll. But the full click does not work every time. I can hit the click button multiple times and it works but have not had any success clicking and dragging.

Should I take it up to an Apple store and just replace it or do you think I can take it apart and clean it?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
So I spilled some soda on my macbook, it landed on the trackpad and the space bar. Mopped it up quickly but I am having trouble clicking the track pad. I have it set up with touch to tap so I can still use the multi touch gestures, click, and scroll. But the full click does not work every time. I can hit the click button multiple times and it works but have not had any success clicking and dragging.

Should I take it up to an Apple store and just replace it or do you think I can take it apart and clean it?
I would replace it myself...you can give cleaning a try but your not going to fix it..I've been down this road with a work buddies 3 day old MBP

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
You don't state in your signature if have a discreet or unibody MBP, but either way its not the easiest repair.

In the case of the discreet MBP, you replace the whole top case. Not cheap, but also not too hard.

In the case of the unibody MBP replacing the trackpad requires some finesse.

BTW, you posted in the MacBook forum, the MBP forum is here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.