Spilled soda, will replacing keyboard help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by americaroma, Jun 6, 2013.

1. americaroma macrumors member

Hi guys, two months ago i accidentally spilled a very little amount of soda into my mac book pro. Computer turns ON but only if battery is dead, i plug in the charger and it automatically turns ON by itself (that is the only way)...

Thing is it only turns on for about 4 minutes then it prompts me with the shut down-restart option and then it automatically shuts down.

This only happens on Mac operating system. I have windows in the other half o the hard drive and windows stays ON for as long as i want but keyboard wont work properly.

Ive sent it to repair (not with apple) and the guy says that replacing the keyboard will fix everything.

I have my doubts, i hope its true. But do you guys think that the keyboard may be causing the abrupt shutdowns? Any opinions?

Thanks!

2. safetravels macrumors newbie

The keyboard is connected to the logic board, replacing that component is actually quite big chunk of the computer. I'd say the issue is more to do with the logic board than the keyboard but who knows (apart from the repair guy, who should have given you more details about the repair)

3. americaroma thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, youre right i didnt get too much details , i actually dont know the guy,a family member is the one who has contact with him.

I really hope its just the keyboard, although i suspect it sounds to good to be true. I dont know if i got this right but apparently the guy said that at least the windows part of my mac was going to work fine after the keyboard replacement.

Again thanks for your response, much appreciated!

4. safetravels macrumors newbie

My understanding is that you cannot replace the keyboard without replacing the logic board, the parts are permanently connected. I had it done a while ago by apple and that's what they told me at least, thankfully I didn't have to pay for it as it was under warranty

5. americaroma thread starter macrumors member

That was great!, i was out of luck and out of warranty, not that it matters as warranty does not cover liquid damage.

But what i can confirm is that the keyboard can in fact be replaced. I know this because about 8 months ago i got mine replaced because my question mark key was not working anymore. This will actually be my third keyboard :(

6. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

I cannot speak AT ALL on their Quality of Work, but I did read something about them once and saved a Link because of it.. Might be worth a try at least, as pricing is NOT ridiculous vs. Apple Repair $$, Good Luck

http://www.dttservice.com/macbookpro.html

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I doubt it will solve all the problems, but it might just solve the automatic restarts since some keys might be stuck and this will automatically restarts/shutdown a machine.

Do a SMC reset, this might solve the battery/power cord problem.

8. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

If it's turning off in 4 minute intervals, there is a low chance that the keyboard is the only problem.

I would venture one of two things, siding with the technician here.

a) He's doing what I do, and cleaning your board in an ultrasonic cleaner for free. Hey, you have to take out every component to get to the keyboard, so you might as well - and that cleaning the corrosion on the board fixes the problem.

b) Your keyboard is so saturated with crap it is confusing the computer. Most of the time, a liquid spill damages the power button or some keys, and the laptop won't turn on - in a standard manner, at least. You have to jump pads on the motherboard. On rare occasion, a keyboard is so f#&ked that being plugged in literally keeps the computer from working.

Also, you can replace the keyboard without replacing the logic board. You do have to remove the logic board to replace the keyboard, but you can still use the old board. I have a video of this process from start to end here, no quick editing, cuts, or speedups... just a really slow, painful, and annoying repair.

9. americaroma thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply.

Iam not too knowledgeable on this matter, and would like to ask you for your opinion.

Do you think there is a chance even if its slightly that the computer may work again as before? I know its a tricky question, but given the fact that it was a very little amount of soda that spilled and that the computer still turns ON and stays ON with at least on Windows.

Would really appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

10. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Firstly, the amount of soda doesn't matter. I have never met someone in five years who admitted to spilling more than "just a little"... not a jab at you, it just is what it is. It's like your kid drinking ammonia from underneath the sink. Few people bring their kid to the doctor for drinking "just a little" ammonia, if they did, they drank it! :)

It depends on the corrosion, but there are tons and tons of machines that go on to live nice full lives after liquid damage, and work as well as they did before.

11. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

12. hockeyfanatic macrumors member

Should have listened to your dentist.

Drinking soda is bad for you.:(

Seriously. Wish you luck.

13. SammyDFG macrumors member

I just paid $1348 total to fix my water damaged rMBP.

I have a lot more respect for her now, she's nice and new again.