Spilled soft drinks...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leo.andres.21, Oct 30, 2012.

1. leo.andres.21 macrumors regular

Hi guys,
    I spilled coke on my MacBook Pro keyboard over a week ago, since then I've been trying to leave it to dry, clean individual keys and underneath it.
    However I still can't get back the bouncy-ness that it used to be.. Please help

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The keyboard/top case probably needs to be replaced.

3. headviking macrumors member

In the end your $&?%#. My son had this happen to him. It wend down hill from there. First the keyboard then the main board went then the super drive.

Start saving your data and money to replace it.

4. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

If it was water, you might've gotten away with it. Coke? No way.. Keyboard replacement needed as a minimum..

5. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Coke spill left to dry = nasty syrup oozing into everything down there. When I reported for duty on my second ship as an electronics tech, I started cleaning the ship's SLQ-32 system and found thick dark syrup under the keyboard. I said, "Oh, someone spilled what looks like a significant volume of Coke in this keyboard." The guy from my shop helping me said, "How can you tell? I spilled some a few months ago, but I thought I cleaned it all up!" Yeah, it doesn't just go away. :p

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yeah, like other people are saying, you're going to have to take the Mac apart and replace the keyboard assembly at the most. I don't think you'll have to do the entire top case since it's covered in black electrical tape underneath (I didn't anyway).

The hard part will be trying to find an authentic keyboard with the backlight and not the whole top case.

Look around though, because I got lucky, someone had one just laying around here at MR and gave it to me for like $20. :D

7. leo.andres.21 thread starter macrumors regular

I have attempted opening the laptop up, down until the keyboard, but then it's covered, and I figured I can't remove it and then reinstall it back, so it was a risk I didn't want to take.
    Though I cleaned up underneath, so in the long run, the logic board shouldn't be fried or affected too much or at all.
    The keyboard feels too soft, should I consider getting an external keyboard? Or by typing much more would recover the keyboard to roughly the same feel as before (hopefully?) :(