Spilled some tea on macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dude487, Nov 13, 2012.

1. dude487 macrumors newbie

It wasn't much, I had about half of the cup left and most of it landed on the bed and myself, but some got on the keyboard. Thing is, I was asleep as didn't notice until 3 hours later. some keys, obviously wet, weren't working. Turned it off and back on and couldn't type password because some keys are not working. since then I turned the laptop off and it's upside down

oh, I also removed all the keys that felt wet (around 10 of them). it doesn't feel wet under them anymore

how long should I let it rest? It seemed to be working fine (3 hours while I slept also :( ) but mainly the keyboard not working

also, before repairing the keyboard I'll probably get a usb keyboard for a while when I do turn the laptop on. Which one should I get? does it have to be a mac keyboard or can it be any?

found this one for example: http://www.amazon.com/MYCARRYINGCAS...d=1352803720&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+mac+keyboard

can I use it?

2. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

It's most likely burned...

You should rather go to an Apple store and be prepared to pay for service.
    A couple of hundred bucks for the new MOBO I'd guess...

Congrats! :cool:

3. Vitrum macrumors regular

Damm mate so sorry :( i always have that fear when drinking using the laptops.

4. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

What MacBook do you have? Depending on the model, it might just be the top case, in which case the fix is significantly cheaper than if it's the MLB. I don't know about the Apple Store, but most AASP will swap the top case for you and if it still doesn't work, you only pay the labour (30m-1h, depending on AASP) and not for the part (you obviously get the old part back). If it's only the top case that's shot and no liquid penetrated to the MLB, you can get along with a USB keyboard as suggested, however, if it's the MLB or got to the MLB there's really no telling how long it will last... Your best bet would be to disassemble and clean all major components if there's even a hint that the liquid got inside.

5. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

It is amazing how liquid could find it's way to do some damage to your computer.... I once spilled coca - not directly onto the laptop - but rather on the desk surface next to where my laptop was sitting. There was some splash on the keyboard - not much - but enough to do some damage. It didn't look like any got inside because all was working fine, except WiFi. Apparently enough got inside and shorted out the WiFi chip. Fortunately for me it was easily replaced by a techie here in HK, just paid for the part (labor cost was probably already baked in). Since then, I am very careful when I have any drinks/liquid near my laptop!