Spilled some water on MacBook Air 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dirkmeister, May 26, 2013.

1. dirkmeister macrumors newbie

Yeah ****, dropped some water on my new computer. Let it dry for a week.
    Now the screen gives these lines, but you can still see that mouse moving by a black line.
    However with a external screen everything works fine, so logic board and graphic card may be good?

Does anybody have a clue what it could be or what to do?

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. dirkmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If it works fine with an external display then it's probably something wrong with the screen itself or the cable going to it.

4. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i suspect you already know the answer, you just down want to hear it :-(

take it into Apple and see what they say. sometimes they show mercy on poor souls like yourself.

i'm so sorry that happened - i've been there myself...

5. TC25 macrumors 68020

I admire (I suppose that's the word) for admitting in public you did this.

Others have diagnosed where the hardware problem is, either with the screen, something that communicates with the screen, or both. However, the root of the problem lies somewhere else.

6. dirkmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

@DisplacedMic & TC25: thanks for the condolences, i'm pretty bumped about this. Wasn't much water at all, but still damage. Will take it to apple and let know what they say.

7. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

good luck!
    i spilled an entire glass of 12 year old single pot stilled whiskey on my MBP last year.
    i know, i was devastated. but then i just poured myself another glass so it was ok.

i did have to take apart and dry out the components of my macbook though... alcohol will evaporate quicker than water will so i was lucky and there was no lasting real damage...the cd drive doesn't work very well anymore but i almost never use that anyway.

at any rate, hopefully you get some good news at the fruitstand.