Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hugetrn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Hi everyone,
I accidentally spilled way too little of tea on my MBP's keyboard and yes I know the warranty does not cover it if an actual damage has been dealt. I immediately plugged it out from the power, removed the spilled tea and cleaned the keyboard keys that were affected. To my surprise they were not even sticky nor have I encountered anything wet underneath it. So I'm going to leave it turned off for two days at least but just to make sure I want to show it to an Apple Store. If it doesn't turn out to be damaged, will I lose the warranty anyways? Or, if it works without problems do you guys think I should still have it checked?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What else was in the tea? If you added sugar, its possible that could cause problems down the road.

When you say way too little tea was spilt, how much tea ended up on the MBP, a couple of drops?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Hi everyone,
I accidentally spilled way too little of tea on my MBP's keyboard and yes I know the warranty does not cover it if an actual damage has been dealt. I immediately plugged it out from the power, removed the spilled tea and cleaned the keyboard keys that was affected. To my surprise they were not even sticky nor have I encountered anything wet underneath it. So I'm going to leave it turned off for two days at least but just to make sure I want to show it to an Apple Store. If it doesn't turn out to be damaged, will I lose the warranty anyways? Or, if it works without problems do you guys think I should still have it checked?
Thanks in advance.

As to warranty, it depends on whether or not the moisture sensors underneath were triggered. Only way to know that is to open it yourself, or have Apple do it. If any of them were triggered, your warranty will be void.

With liquids, what appears to be no real damage done one day, may not be the case later on.

How much liquid was spilled? And as Mike was saying, what was in your tea can have a real impact on the affect to your MBP.

Hugetrn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
What else was in the tea? If you added sugar, its possible that could cause problems down the road.

When you say way too little tea was spilt, how much tea ended up on the MBP, a couple of drops?

There was licorice root, chamomile flower, lavander flower, lime flower, valerian root and tulsi leaf. So nothing acidic and no sugar was added that's why I'm thinking it cannot be any different than spilling some water on the MBP.

As for how much, I wouldn't say a couple of drops because that wouldn't worry me at all, I'd say as much as a sip of tea was spilled.

As to warranty, it depends on whether or not the moisture sensors underneath were triggered. Only way to know that is to open it yourself, or have Apple do it. If any of them were triggered, your warranty will be void.

With liquids, what appears to be no real damage done one day, may not be the case later on.

How much liquid was spilled? And as Mike was saying, what was in your tea can have a real impact on the affect to your MBP.

That's exactly why I wanted to open this thread. I heard about the moisture sensors and it got me thinking that if I take my MBP to Apple Store some other day about an irrelevant issue, they might notice the sensors when they open it. Wouldn't it void my warranty if I open it myself to check? That's what I really wonder.
I appreciate the answers.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
There was licorice root, chamomile flower, lavander flower, lime flower, valerian root and tulsi leaf. So nothing acidic and no sugar was added that's why I'm thinking it cannot be any different than spilling some water on the MBP.

As for how much, I wouldn't say a couple of drops because that wouldn't worry me at all, I'd say as much as a sip of tea was spilled.

That's exactly why I wanted to open this thread. I heard about the moisture sensors and it got me thinking that if I take my MBP to Apple Store some other day about an irrelevant issue, they might notice the sensors when they open it. Wouldn't it void my warranty if I open it myself to check? That's what I really wonder.
I appreciate the answers.

Opening the bottom cover of your MBP does not void your warranty.

Hugetrn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Opening the bottom cover of your MBP does not void your warranty.

Alright I will open it then. If the sensors are fine, does that mean I can continue using it or it would still be better to wait for a while before using.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
If there was no milk and no sugar in the tea, and if it was only a sip (a pretty vague measure, but let's go with that), and there is no damage apparent now, I wouldn't even open the bottom up. In the world of spills, this seems to be very far over on the 'not a problem' end of the range. If you start noticing malfunctions, then go ahead and open it up if you feel comfortable doing so.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Alright I will open it then. If the sensors are fine, does that mean I can continue using it or it would still be better to wait for a while before using.

Nothing wrong with keeping it off another 24 - 48 hrs.

When you take the lid off, make sure you have excellent lighting. Be very thorough and look over every nook and cranny you can (more than once). If the sensors haven't been triggered, (and they are very sensitive) you may have gotten off very lucky. Only time will tell.

Edited to add: Make sure you use the correct screwdriver to take the bottom plate off. If you don't, you will strip the screws. See https://www.ifixit.com for the correct tools needed for your particular MBP.

Last edited:

Hugetrn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
If there was no milk and no sugar in the tea, and if it was only a sip (a pretty vague measure, but let's go with that), and there is no damage apparent now, I wouldn't even open the bottom up. In the world of spills, this seems to be very far over on the 'not a problem' end of the range. If you start noticing malfunctions, then go ahead and open it up if you feel comfortable doing so.

You have a point but even if the device shows no apparent change I will still have doubts about the warranty due to sensors. One day I might take it to the Apple Store about a whole different problem and they might notice the sensors which will void my warranty.

Nothing wrong with keeping it off another 24 - 48 hrs.

When you take the lid off, make sure you have excellent lighting. Be very thorough and look over every nook and cranny you can (more than once). If the sensors haven't been triggered, (and they are very sensitive) you may have gotten off very lucky. Only time will tell.

I highly doubt that the liquid reached all the way down to the sensors but it's still worth checking if the warranty is at stake. I will open it tomorrow night which is 48 hours later.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
You have a point but even if the device shows no apparent change I will still have doubts about the warranty due to sensors. One day I might take it to the Apple Store about a whole different problem and they might notice the sensors which will void my warranty.

I highly doubt that the liquid reached all the way down to the sensors but it's still worth checking if the warranty is at stake. I will open it tomorrow night which is 48 hours later.
Please see my "edited to add" on my previous post. Very important.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I'd look to clean up with the liquid more then worry about the sensors being tripped. Just my $.02

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

But opening it won't change any of that, and a certain number of owners who dive into their machines manage to break or lose things. :eek: Pardon me if that is not you. :)

Hugetrn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
But opening it won't change any of that, and a certain number of owners who dive into their machines manage to break or lose things. :eek: Pardon me if that is not you. :)

I don't plan to do anything else than observing the sensors and also check if any liquid seems to be around. So other than unscrewing and putting it back, I will not touch any of the components.

I couldn't find the screwdriver for it so I'm going to turn it on today to see how it is. If there seems to be no problem until I find the right screwdriver, I might not even open it.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
Where are you based? I work in an AASP as an Apple tech, would be happy to take a look.

Hugetrn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
I live in Canada. I appreciate the offer even if you're not able to take a look.

Ah, I'm over in the UK. I just saw "tea" and assumed you were one of us! Haha.

No problem, would have been happy to give it a once over to check for possible damage. To be honest, just be careful with it for a bit and leave it on a little more than you usually do. The heat generated from the internals during extended use will help mop up small liquid traces, just keep it relatively still whilst you use it for a bit to minimise further risk.

Hugetrn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Ah, I'm over in the UK. I just saw "tea" and assumed you were one of us! Haha.

No problem, would have been happy to give it a once over to check for possible damage. To be honest, just be careful with it for a bit and leave it on a little more than you usually do. The heat generated from the internals during extended use will help mop up small liquid traces, just keep it relatively still whilst you use it for a bit to minimise further risk.

These are great tips! This will definitely help. Thanks. I use my MBP on a table all the time so I'm assuming it will minimize the risk.

Huge,
You can get the P5 Pentalobe Screwdriver off Amazon.ca

You just read my mind! I'm going to order it today.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
These are great tips! This will definitely help. Thanks. I use my MBP on a table all the time so I'm assuming it will minimize the risk.

You just read my mind! I'm going to order it today.

You're welcome :)

Please do NOT open it up without wearing a grounded ESD strap. Otherwise liquid damage may be the least of your worries. Common sense step but you'd be surprised how often people forget, at great cost sometimes.

Hugetrn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
You're welcome :)

Please do NOT open it up without wearing a grounded ESD strap. Otherwise liquid damage may be the least of your worries. Common sense step but you'd be surprised how often people forget, at great cost sometimes.

I didn't know I needed one just for unscrewing to be honest, but I'll check it out if you say so.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
I didn't know I needed one just for unscrewing to be honest, but I'll check it out if you say so.

You don't *need* one, per se, but you can short your entire logic board fairly easily by accident and then you're stuck. An ESD strap prevents that.

Hugetrn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
You don't *need* one, per se, but you can short your entire logic board fairly easily by accident and then you're stuck. An ESD strap prevents that.

I just turned on the MBP. Everything works just like the way it was. Like it's never happened. All the keyboard keys work exactly the same. It really makes me not want to open it after this point but I'll still have doubts about the sensors if I don't. I'll probably decide in a couple of days depending on its behaviour. Thank you and all the other members who replied. I really appreciate it.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
I went through the hell of water damage with my 13 inch rMPB.
Did I mention I decided to have a cappuccino with lots of sugar in the morning following the catastrophe? ;)
I had to wait an entire weekend before I lay my hands on a pentalobe screwdriver (this is actually terrible since you can't even rescue the thing if you know what your doing, almost made me sob) so the coffee had plenty of time to permeate the machine and corrode.

Funny thing is, the keyboard is surprisingly well isolated. Not a drop went through to the logic board!
After I opened it the only coffee that got inside was through the back vent and the speaker on the bottom when I frantically shook the thing upside down.

After the weekend I got a pentalobe screwdriver and promptly cleaned the whole thing with a toothbrush and pure IPA alcohol to no avail (no shocker here since the coffee that went through the vent grill went into contact with the logic board.

Still I managed to clean it squeaky clean before I took it in for repair.
In the end Apple exchanged the logic board and display (hell knows how that got damaged without the connector ever coming into contact with liquid, probably a short) as a warranty repair - none of the water sensors were tripped. I had to pay for the top case (the entire thing - trackpad, battery and keyboard assembly) but it wasn't even close to buying a new one, which I basically got since the only leftover part was the SSD and IO boards with USB, card reader etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.