Spilled vente starbucks tea on macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nhood01, Feb 27, 2014.

1. nhood01 macrumors member

Hey guys,

My dad just spilled 2/3 of a hot vente (20 oz.) tea onto my 2010 15" macbook pro. It landed on the lower right side of the keyboard, spilling over most of the computer. The computer shut off by itself immediately. I have not tried to turn it on. Its upside down, drying out in a warm spot currently.

Does anyone wanna advise me on what to from here?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

2. Anitramane macrumors 6502

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

The MBP, or the tea!?:confused:

;) :D

4. Anitramane macrumors 6502

The tea. The macs are really bad

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Option A) Take Mac to Apple store for quote on repair
    Option B) Get new Mac that will be covered under warranty.
    Option C) Try and spend several hours attempting to repair it yourself, with no promise that related problems won't keep popping up.

In my opinion, dad is responsible for all cost with either option A or B. I would pick option B.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

What a waste of tea. A tall cup would have been sufficient to reliably kill the mac.

The general procedure is to let things dry out thoroughly, at least for 2-3 days, before trying to switch it back on. If it goes back into a working state, be happy, use it until it breaks. If it doesn't, just buy a new one. Repair won't be worth the money on this slightly older machine.

7. RMS8 macrumors newbie

Nick,
    If I may ask, how old are you?
    Advise, never handle a firearm, better yet, don't give it to your dad.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Go on Amazon and buy those desiccant bags.

Get those vacuum bags (for clothes) and your Mac and the desiccant bags inside. Seal thing up. Wait a few days.

Unfortunately as it shut itself off, it's probably dead already.

9. rtfmoz macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I did this as well. Take it to a Mac store but its likely your machine is toast and you will have to get a new one. Unless you have insurance policy covering accidental damage for the computer I am afraid you are up for a new machine. Expensive mistake.... I know. Mine was a 2.6Ghz 15" rMBP Retina approx $3k worth of laptop in Oz. One full latte,.. all over red rover.

10. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

This is why I have a no drink policy within 1 foot of my hardware.

People will happily prance around your $2000 laptop with an open can of soda, that vente caramel macchiato, or simply a glass of juice.

People think I'm paranoid when I first tell them this policy, until they spill their drink 5 minutes later.

11. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

I keep seeing posts like this you would think in a huge investment with a MacBook Pro notebook you would pay a bit more for a keyboard cover. I am glad I did that. I really would not want to screw up my keyboard or anything else if I should ever have any liquids near my computer.

12. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Put ur mac in a cloth bag and then put it in a bag of rice for a day or two. I hope after the spill u diwconnected the battery. Before switching the mac on open it up and check all conectors for corrosion and leftofter goo from the tea. Clean it with alcohol if you find any, check if any keys are sticky and remove the caps to clean it. Only after this start it up and hope it works.

13. goMac macrumors 603

You can let it dry, but the tea leaf fragments won't evaporate away (water would have been better here). Very good chance the logic board is toast.

Apple will want to replace the logic board at the very least, which could cost as much as a new machine. You might be able to get someone adventurous (i.e. not the Apple Store) to clean the logic board, but the keyboard might be toast as well, which usually requires a top case replacement.

In all likelihood the machine is probably totaled.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Bummers on your loss

Other then waiting to get it fully dry and hoping for the best, there's no much else to recommend. The odds are decent that the logic board is fried, though waiting, hoping and praying may produce surprising results and it turns on. The other option is to take it into apple, but as noted, the cost will be close to a new MBP