Spilled Water, but now works fine. possible damage?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by handydandy, Mar 22, 2010.

1. handydandy macrumors newbie

so yesterday i was drinkin gfrom a water bottle while surfing and i accidentally dropped it on my computer. i didnt think too much water got in, but some did on the keyboard and screen.
    at first, the computer was fine, but then the screen began to flicker lightly and make a weird small noise. then i closed the lid and opened it, but it had already shut off. i tried to start the computer again 2 times, but the screen would not turn on (though i would hear the start up sound).

and so i just went to sleep and turned it on again in the next morning. now everything seems to be working fine.
    if i had damaged the logic board or anything else, would i be able to tell? b/c as of right now, it seems to be working perfectly fine. could there be possible damage even though it works fine now?

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

Do NOT use it.

There is some good info on here but the basics are
    - Turn it off & unplug from wall
    - Take the battery out if you can
    - open the lid and leave it somewhere warm for a few days
    - you can also put it in a closed container with something that absorbs moisture eg rice, leave it for a few days

The fact that the computer "acted funny" means that some water got in, you need to be sure it's all gone.

It takes a long time for the liquid to evaporate, so you risk doing more damage if you use it for the first couple of days, even if it seems OK at the moment.

The risk might be quite small, but I suggest it's best to be patient so you can be certain.

Hope it works out OK!

3. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Handy, you know that water and electricity do not mix?

More specifically the heavily mineral laden water from most water taps.
    (You had bottled water, it is not so bad.)

Minerals in water conduct electricity, shorting out electronics.

Even though your MB works now, you did do permanent damage by not immideatly shutting down as soon as the water hit the Mac.

Your Mac will work, but its life span has been reduced.
    I suspect the screen will likely die early.

But I do not think much can be done until something does stop working.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg