Spilled water Macbook Pro early 2011 - SMC ****up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wesen3000, Jan 18, 2012.

1. wesen3000 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I spilled some tea inside my macbook pro, something I'm quite familiar with :/ I disconnected it, opened it up, drained the water out and disconnected the battery. I didn't have a triwing with me (was at work), so I couldn't remove the battery entirely. I put it to dry in the oven at 50 C. I wasn't used to that oven, so I think it got a little too warm (it felt more like 70C inside there, not that I can tell very much). After noticing that, I removed the macbook from the oven and let it dry a few hours on top of the heating. I plugged it back in, and it came up alright, but the battery says "Replace Now". I did all the SMC reset voodoo, and was mostly happy with having to buy a new battery. I suspect the battery may have "died" due to the water (!?), or due to the heat in the oven later on. It reports as being charged, but having 0 charge.

However, I noticed today that the macbook won't step up its speed at all, the CPU VCore stays at 0.8V according to iStatMenus, and the whole thing feels like a G4. It barely breaks the 2000 in geekbench, while it should hit 9000. Even the SSD can barely achieve 60 MB/s, while it used to hit 220. I tried the SMC reset thing a few times, rebooting, powercycling, tweaking around and stuff. On the upside the fans *never* go on anymore :) They still work fine though, I tested that.

I'm going to get a new battery at the apple store on saturday, and I am going to clean the beast a bit more thoroughly tomorrow on the mobo. Worst case however would be that I killed something on the logic board, which I think sounds a bit improbable as everything seems to be working smooth, except the battery. Best case: battery reporting nonsense -> smc playing it safe and putting everything on slow-mo, switch battery or clean up things -> smc happy again.

I wanted to know if someone has had a similar experience:
    - water spilled or some stupid user-induced mistake like that
    - SMC going haywire / battery dead
    - laptop not being able to speed up / being slow like a powerpc

And maybe if you managed to fix it?

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Working battery is needed in for full speed operation as a full speed cpu can sometimes push power envelope outside what adaptor supplies, so it needs to have battery as fallback.

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

As iMacDragon said, if there's no battery present it will throttle down the CPU. Best case scenario would be that you get a replacement battery and everything works again. Hopefully the liquid didn't cause any other damage.

4. wesen3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, will let you know how it goes. Going to back today, inspect for cruft on the mobo, clean it up a tad with distilled water, and work on my air in the meantime, which makes 3 times as much on the benchmarks :/