Spilled water on a new 15" MPB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deryk, Jun 21, 2009.

1. deryk macrumors regular

Hi,

I purchased new MBP last week and just spilled a glass of water on it. I immediately disconnected it from the power supply and the screen went black. I turned it off, wiped it down, and placed it in front of my window air conditioning unit.

I have read some threads regarding removing the battery as well. Since this MBP does not have a removable battery, does anyone have any other suggestions on how to best minimize the damage I already have done?

Thanks!

2. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

I'm really sorry to hear that. Good night sweet prince. :( My sympathies.

I suggest you remove the bottom panel of the laptop and let it air out for a day or two, then hope for the best.

Anyway, out of curiosity, what part of the laptop did you spill most of the water on? The speaker grill or keyboard? If the water went through the keyboard and damaged the logic board underneath you're SOL. Apple won't take it back since they can detect water damage easily. This could've been prevented if you had a clearguard or similar keyboard condom: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TV901LL/A

Also, keeping an emergency ShamWow by your desk is a great idea - you never know if you might need to grab it in a split-second to prevent water from seeping into your machine.

3. deryk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply. I think it went mostly in the speaker vent, but some water did get on the key board.

I do not have a screw driver small enough to open the back panel, I will have to get one tomorrow.

How will I be able to tell if the logic board is damaged?

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

you wont really know anything until you turn the computer on. but i wouldnt do this until you can completely dry it out. just be patient.

5. deryk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Thanks for everyone's support. My MBP is up and running after being taken apart and dried.

6. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Next time dont drink or eat soo close to the computer,

7. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Hopefully it works out. Sometimes you can have a lingering effect due to dried deposits of minerals in water. Keep an eye on it...

8. deryk thread starter macrumors regular

I did some reading and washed off the internal parts with alcohol to help prevent that from happening.

9. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Good on you. Distilled water can also be used in these cases.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Wow, your machine is working again? Consider yourself one of the lucky ones. Unfortunately it means you probably won't ever be able to get a repair done under AppleCare if you bought it, since they can just point to the moisture stickers as the reason for the damage.

11. Cubert macrumors regular

Cubert

The exact same thing happened to my PowerBook about 6 months after I bought it (typing on it right now and is 5 years old). You turn it off immediately and let it dry for 7 days before trying to turn it on. It should work OK. You are lucky it wasn't a beverage with sugar in it.

Good luck!