Spilled water on keyboard, now it doesn't work!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmwpowere36m3, Jan 9, 2008.

1. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I recently got a new MBP and now I've already screwed it up. I was moving into my apartment and had a glass of water near the laptop...sure enough I knocked it over and it spilled out onto the keyboard.

I quickly turned off the computer and quickly turned it over to try and prevent the water from running/dripping down into the computer. So I removed the battery and let the computer sit upside down on a towel overnight in the hopes he water would drop down thru the keys and dry up.

So in the morning I started the computer back up and everything worked fine. I left for class and when I came back ~4 hrs later the keyboard stopped functioning, I restarted nothing. Mind you, the track pad still works.

I took apart the computer and removed the keyboard and tried drying it with a hairdryer, but still nothing. So now I'm typing from the same laptop via a usb keyboard. Is it possible the keyboard fried or is it possible its still wet?

I not sure wether to buy a new keyboard yet. On ifixt.com their $120 and ebay ~$60

Help me out, thanks.

2. chunkdude macrumors newbie

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

You've gone a bit too far taking the laptop apart, lol. That could void your warranty. Anyway, I think your keyboard is unfortunately dead. Get a new one and learn to be more careful when having liquid near the computer.

Good luck

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

5. bmwpowere36m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

yea i understand, is it possible that there is still some moisture in the keyboard and thats why it doesn't want to function? Because the keyboard it self doesn't have any logic boards or anything to fry really right?

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Orly? Please show me where it states this. I also have to LOL at your statement of voiding the warranty by removing the keyboard. Did spilling the WATER on the computer not already do that? ROFL.

7. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

8. bmwpowere36m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, the warranty does state that opening the computer DOES void the warranty, but they have to prove that you opened it, i.e., like you damages the screws, tore the tape inside, whatever. If you open the case and don't damage anything, they'll never know you opened it, thus not voiding your warranty.

Also does apple use a "water detection sticker," like on cell phones? Because other than that, there's no sign of water or anything inside my laptop. Since I didn't spill that much water and I believe it got trapped in the keys, and never made it's way down to the logic board. Also the black "stickers" on the back on the top case (under the keyboard) think help trap the water.

9. aquajet macrumors 68020

Do you have a link to the warranty terms where it states this? I've read through the warranty terms and never saw this stated anywhere. Did Apple revise the terms?

I would give it a few more days to dry out. Disconnect all power and leave it for a while. If the keyboard turns out to be toast, then at least you'll know that's the worst of it. Since you know how to disasseble the thing, then you should be able to find a replacement part online somewhere and do it yourself for cheap.

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Wow

Hey, no need to be a jerk.

There should be a law regarding gratuitous use of IM speak on these forums.

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Applecare does not cover "faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Service Provider"

so, pretty much if you can take it apart and put it together without breaking anything then you should be in the clear.

waiting overnight to dry is hardly enough. At least 24 hours minimum.

12. bmwpowere36m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Also does apple use a "water detection sticker," like on cell phones? Because other than that, there's no sign of water or anything inside my laptop. Since I didn't spill that much water and I believe it got trapped in the keys, and never made it's way down to the logic board. Also the black "stickers" on the back on the top case (under the keyboard) think help trap the water.

13. Billz macrumors newbie

I don't think Apple uses water detection stickers as I have taken apart both regular MacBooks and MacBook Pro's and I've never seen any other those kind of stickers before. I really don't know why Apple doesn't use those stickers.
    But anyway, I say get yourself a new keyboard and install it yourself. Its very easy, I could do it in my sleep.

Bill

14. joeyd929 macrumors newbie

Alcohol

Sometimes when we get cellphones that are wet down to the circuit borard, we use denatured alcohol and immerse the circuit board right in the alcohol or at least brush the components with it.

The denatured alcohol is almost 100% alcohol so it leaves no water residue. Sometimes if you do this process ASAP after liquid contact it can dry out the components enough to get them working again.

I'm not telling anyone to give their macbook an alcohol bath but it's good as a last resort if you are basically up the creek anyway with a liquid damaged part.

15. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Great tip, thanks! :)

16. pionata macrumors 6502

Send it to apple care and tell them you dont know what's wrong with it.

(make sure it's dry first)

17. bmwpowere36m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I finally plugged my keyboard back in, and it works...except for a few keys. I'm not sure why, but the: F11, Question Mark-Forward Slash Key, F7, F9, F10 DONT work still.

* F11, hides the windows and that just doesn't work, but it did on my USB keyboard.

* Question Mark-Forward Slash Key doesn't work period, wheather you press the shift key or whatever.

* F7, I'm not sure if anything happens when you normally press it, but nothing happens.

* F9 & F10 do the same thing according to what pops up on the screen (it tries to minimize the light, but the light it at the lowest setting allready), when I press F8 it does shut off the light.

When I press F8 = [​IMG]

When I press F9 or F10 = [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. bmwpowere36m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, I ended up picking up a new keyboard on ebay for a steal ($30) and now everything works perfectly, I really lucked out with this one.

19. joeyd929 macrumors newbie

is it easy? how long does it take

I saw a video on youtube about how to change the keypad. is it really as easy as it looks?

20. mashinhead macrumors 68020

you can't spill water on it. next time try coke. mine works fine.

21. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Good advice. :( And we wonder why we pay so much for our laptops.

22. bmwpowere36m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

it's not bad, I followed the steps from: ifixit.com , just be careful and get a screwdriver that fits and you'll be all set.

23. boomshack macrumors newbie

I spilled a cup of coffee on my MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo). The keyboard was entirely unresponsive - backlight and all. I bought a replacement keyboard ($80) and followed the ifixit.com steps. Everything works perfectly now - backlight and all. Thank you for the advice!

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No there are no stickers, but when Apple finds rusted screws and connector, they will notice. Also if you've ever seen a repair, they take like a gazillion pictures of each part. They notice water damage.

As with the black sticker: it's a insulator so the metal doesn't short the circuit board it's on top of.

25. nufanec macrumors regular

This part is easy actually - although you have plugged the keyboard back in correctly, you've probaby not plugged the keyboard backlight in again correctly. It is located just up and left of where the keyboard cable comes throught the topcase (here). I forgot to thread the little cable through first time I reassembled a keyboard/topcase assembly and had the same problem...