Spilled water on MacBook Pro Retina display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bgenjoi, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Bgenjoi macrumors newbie

Hello all, I am new to this forum and I am hoping you may be able to provide some answers and insight!

It all started on Saturday night. I was using the computer and the display had just went blank into standby when approximately 2-4 oz of water was spilled on the center to right side of keyboard and water did go inside the vents probably directly onto the logic board... I immediately flipped the computer over and tried to drain the water while my wife dried the keyboard off. I propped the computer up over a heat register overnight upside down. The following day I went to Walmart and bought a can of damp rid desiccant and placed the MacBook upside down inside a cardboard box with the desiccant in it overtop a heat register for two days.

Tonight was d-day per-say. I turned it on tonight and I had to hold the power button for 15 seconds to get anything and finally it turned on, boot up was very slow. The computer works but is very slow and the graphics are not smooth like normal. I restarted it and no change. I ran a the apple hardware test and came up up with this code 4SNS/1/40000001:ICOR--10.005.

If anyone can please help I greatly appreciate it!! I am not looking forward to having a $2400 paperweight :/.....

Thanks again,
    Dan

2. Essenar macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm sorry to say this but the fact that the MacBook shut down immediately after water spilled on it, leads me to believe there was logic board damage.

Most times, when water is spilled, if the laptop still runs, you are to shut it down immediately, unplug it, turn it upside down with a rag/cloth over the keyboard overnight possibly in a bag of rice to dehydrate it.

But if the MacBook shuts down, it's usually a bad sign. The fact that it started up is pretty crazy but I'll bite:

The SNS error means a temperature sensor has gone off. I suggest trying to download iStats Pro and installing it. Check the temperature readings and see if anything is off. The fact that it's running slow with an SNS error leads me to believe the CPU sensor is to blame. Check CPU temperatures as it will have four readings for each CPU core. If any of the temperatures seem wonky or are reporting errors, you'll at least have narrowed down where the sensor is.

Try a repair permissions/SMC/Pram reset and see if that does the trick.

In terms of getting it fixed, I would say take it to the Apple store, explain the issue and see what they can do. If they ask about water, be honest about it but if they don't detect the water sensors being flagged, they'll most likely fix it for you.

3. ChrisMan287 macrumors 6502

ChrisMan287

4. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

Yeah, if an SMC reset doesn't work, I think it's an Apple Store job. You could try lying and just pray that it didn't reach the water damage sensors.

5. iaymnu macrumors 6502

Why would you lie? That is just bad advice.

6. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

Let's see:

Customer: "Hello, I spilled water on my rMBP, can you help me?"
    Genius: "I'm sorry sir, our policy states that water damage is not under AppleCare"
    Customer: "So what are my options?"
    Genius: "You need to pay for an new logic board. It would be $900"
    Customer: "S_hit"
    Bye.

7. Essenar macrumors 6502a

Genius: "Oh wait, my bad. It's actually about $1300."
    Customer: "S_hit!!!"

8. kh3khalid macrumors regular

Lying is stealing in this case. You damaged the thing so you should pay for the repairing! Mistakes happen but it's not anyone else's fault that you spilled water on your machine.

9. Ploki macrumors 68000

If any of you ever opened a laptop you'd see that water damage is ****ing obvious.

10. efirmage macrumors member

Take it in. They'll see the water damage, so no need to worry about what you need to tell them. Ask if there's any way they can split the repair cost with you since its such a brand new and expensive machine.

11. iaymnu macrumors 6502

Fixed it for you.

12. mckey, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012

mckey macrumors member

What's will all these I spilled some sticky goo on my keyboard "what should I do" post's lately seems like everyday theirs a new thread.......:eek:

I mean common after spending a few thousand dollars on a on MBP or an imac and you get careless decide to eat and drink over your keyboard and people seem surprised when this happens. :confused:

13. sostoobad macrumors regular

Man that is a drag, I agree with above, best is to take it in, and come clean maybe they will work with you, especially if it is new.

But liquid and computers, the 2 should never be near each other.

14. TheSpeaker macrumors member

15. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

lol love it!! But, what the ... is the devil's tail peeking at :p

To the OP, I would take it to Apple and be honest about it. You'll be surprised what they might be willing to do for CS, as long as you get a decent rep and talk nicely.

Oh, and look like someone died ;)

16. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

tell them it was your kid that did it or stop drinking on top of your electronics...

Attached Files:

17. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

Really can't believe how careless people are. I see one of these threads every few days and it just blows my mind how little respect people have for their own money.

18. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

That's why they should stop asking for a quick easy and free of charge fix suck it up and pay the price for a new logic board or buy a Windows laptop for that price.

19. Bgenjoi thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I wound up taking it to apple and they confirmed the processor sensor failures and a fan failure. They sent it out for repair and they replaced the following:

605-3222 logic board 2.6ghz 8gb ram
    605-3511 topcase with battery

Total cost to me: FREE!!!

Yes I agree with the people being careless with their expensive computers. I am extremely careful with everything I own and typically never have a drink in the same plane at the computer or other electronics. I have never damaged any electronic device I have owned but unfortunately my wife was the one who spilled the water! She felt so bad about it she wont even use the computer now that we have it back, good for me its all mine!!!

After realizing the cost of some of these components if they fail during normal use and not being submerged with water, I think we will buying apple care!!

Thanks again for the help,
    Dan

20. kh3khalid macrumors regular

So you ended up lying or what did you tell them exactly?

21. afterafx macrumors member

Glad everything worked out for you, but what did you tell Apple when you took it in?

22. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Insurance is so much cheaper (Less than $100/year) than a new computer, or logic board, or screen, or.....:rolleyes: