spilled water on mbp keyboard!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stutter, Apr 24, 2009.

1. stutter macrumors newbie

First off, i checked the forum history and no one seemed to have asked about an exactly similar situation to mine so I am making a new thread. I hope i didn't miss a previous thread about the exact same problem. here goes...

On tuesday in the middle of the night, i was watching breaking bad on my mbp. i had a small cup of water and i slipped on my bed and little bit of water popped out of the glass and onto my keyboard. This happened a few years ago on my powerbook and because there was so little water i just got a towel and placed it on top of the keyboard and let it soak up the water. everything worked the last time this happened with the powerbook so i did the same thing this time with a towel and it worked fine for the rest of the night (stupid i know!). woke up in the morning and moved it back to my desk. everything was working fine for an hour or 2 and then 2 keys stopped working. the keys werent physically sticking but they just wouldnt respond. 1 of the keys would sometimes just keep repeating itself (ie. "iiiiiiiiiiiiii"). then 2 more, then 2 more and now a whole row of keys stopped working. once that happened i immediately turned my mbp off and it has been under a lamp ever since. I looked up some different strategies for letting it dry and a few hours ago i flipped the mbp over so that the keyboard is on a towel and the display is hanging off my desk. the battery was taken out a while ago. anyways, i know that the flipping it over was probably done too late as i assume the water has dried already.

what do i do now? it has been off and drying for 2 days now. should i keep it under a lamp right side up or should i continue to let it dry upside down with the keyboard on a towel and the display hanging off the table?
    i searched on the net (with a friends comp) and this forum seemed to be filled with very knowledgeable people and so here i am. THANKS so much for any advice you can give me. I already know applecare will not cover any potential repair as it will probably be quite obvious it is water damage. thanks again! it was idiotic of me not to turn it off immediately but it seemed like such a small amount of water and that i had been able to dry it without it penetrating below the keys...

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

when i spilled iced tea on my ibook certain keyboard keys also did not work. I let it dry for 2 weeks and tried taking it apart but I could never fix it. Ended up having to buy a new keyboard for it online.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

"Spilled liquid on my Mac or keyboard" guide

If you have followed all the procedures (removing battery, turning upside down, allowing to dry, etc.) and it still does not function, then you are most likely looking at a keyboard replacement at the least. There could be other damage, but it would likely only be detected once the computer is opened up. You are correct... Apple Care will not cover liquid spills, and it will void the warranty. If you have something critical, you can use a BlueTooth keyboard until you can get it repaired.

Good luck... not a great feeling I know...

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. Gml macrumors newbie

A few months ago I spilled Fanta over my Macbook Pro when it was still running. This was at the back of the keyboard, were the eject button is. I didnt know about any procedures when spilling liquids over a macbook. I just shut it down, let it dry (helped a bit with a hairdryer) and after a few hours tried it on again. It still worked.

But I do have some issues when I turn my macbook on (and its cold) and it has to get warm, some keys are sticky and have to be pressed multiple times to get them going properly again. Probably something with the sugar in the Fanta....guess I got lucky.

Good luck with yours though. Hope you don't have to do to much to get it working again.

5. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

maybe take off the upper part (with keyboard) and clean it in destilled water.

after drying carefully with hairdryer and a vacuumcleaner (variable speed) with a hairy round brush, all keys should work properly. ;)