Spilled Water On My MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thetechfixer, Sep 24, 2011.

1. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

Well I was an idiot and I spilled water on my 2007 Macbook pro. I immediately started drying the water on the machine. By the way the water had spilled on the keyboard for those wondering and it was a 15" macbook pro before the unibody. Anyways I also let it sit for a few days with a fan blowing on it. So its three days later and I turn it back on. What i noticed was that the keyboard was pressing random keys and would not stop and some of the keys did not work. i cant even log in because it presses random keys. Now can you please tell me what to do. Should i replace the keyboard or maybe open up the keyboard and try to fix it and save money?

2. thetechfixer thread starter macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

Why should i replace the entire thing when the keyboard is just screwed

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well there are a couple of things you can try. Get a large bag of rice and put the MBP inside for like a week. The rice will draw out any remaining moisture. If it still doesn't work after that, you can try replacing the logic board as that is what is likely to have been ruined.

You can check with your homeowner's/renter's insurance to see if they will cover it.

Otherwise, you're looking at having to replace it.

Be more careful next time and good luck.

4. thetechfixer thread starter macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

Ill try the rice thing, the logic board is fine its just the keyboard, thanks

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Keep in mind that just because the logic board seems to be ok now, that doesn't mean that it won't go bad in the near future. Damage from moisture isn't always immediately visible. Do the rice thing and see if it helps. If I were you and it still has trouble after that, I'd probably just replace it. It's 4 years old, and I wouldn't want to put much money into it if there was a decent chance something else could go wrong with it soon. But it's up to you. Good luck!

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Drying it out more in rice isn't going to do a thing. You need to replace the keyboard. Cleaning the spill and replacing the keyboard should cost well under 200.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Next time don't drink near your MBP. :) I have seen some used keyboard for less than 100

8. realchimera macrumors regular

If Jake quit two and half men, you could replace his role in the show perfectly.

9. md301 macrumors member

just sell it as is and buy same model same year. ussually even when the power is off, the battery still has electricity flowing in the machine you could ahve taken out the battery right away before drying it.

10. thetechfixer thread starter macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

would it still work if i open up the system and unplug the keyboard and plug in an external one?