Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Ok so last month I literally spilled a few drops of water in the left corner of my macbook. It was enough to seep in and fry the logic board so now I'm without a computer. I know logicboards cost around $500-$700 to repair.

I really just want my hard drive and the data on it and I know that's working fine.

Does anyone know how I can go about retrieving my data from the hard drive or even boot up my hard drive on another mac without actually installing it in the computer? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Put your drive in an external drive enclosure. Then you can either boot from it or access it from another computer.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Put your drive in an external drive enclosure. Then you can either boot from it or access it from another computer.

Is there a special option I need to choose to boot from it or program? Or will the mac I'm using just ask me when it's connected?

I have an external enclosure already.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is there a special option I need to choose to boot from it or program? Or will the mac I'm using just ask me when it's connected?

I have an external enclosure already.

Hold the Option key while restarting a Mac to choose another boot drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.