Spilled Water on outlet extender. Should it be used again?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Traverse, Jan 3, 2016.

  1. Traverse macrumors 603

    Traverse

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2013
    Location:
    Here
    #1
    Ugh. About 7 ounces of water was knocked over and it spilled down the wall onto an outlet extender that contained my MacBook's plug, my monitor plug, and my fans plug. I cut the power, unplugged all devices, and wiped it down.

    Should I ever use this outlet extender again, or is the threat of water shortage too great!?
     
  2. LiveM macrumors 6502a

    LiveM

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2015
    #2
    Put it in the hot water cupboard or out in the sun for a week or so. Should be fine.
     
  3. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

    Traverse

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2013
    Location:
    Here
  4. dwfaust macrumors 68040

    dwfaust

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Location:
    I am here =>[*]
    #4
    I'm not familiar with the term "outlet extender". Is it what we in the US call an "extension cord"? Or perhaps a "power strip"?

    If it's purely an electrical extension cord with one or more plugs, it should be fine as long as it's completely dried. The problem with electronics and liquid spills are twofold, neither of which particularly apply to extension cords or power strips.
    1. Having power applied to a device that gets wet will cause the internal circuitry to short circuit due to the conductive property of water and most other liquids. The liquid will conduct electricity to the sensitive components inside a computer, phone or other electronics will cause some of that circuitry to fry. Since there is no "circuitry" inside an extension cord beyond a power wire connected to an electrical plug, it's not a worry, so long as the liquid is dried up.

    2. Minerals and other foreign matter will get deposited on the internal circuitry, ultimately causing corrosion over time. Of all the liquids, water is the least offensive, but still can contain minerals and metals that can cause trouble. Again, not a big concern for a simple extension cord or power strip.
     
  5. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

    Traverse

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2013
    Location:
    Here
    #5
    @dwfaust It is a "power strip." I, for some unknown reason, have always called them an outlet extender for no reason.

    Well my macbook was in clamshell mode and the computer monitor was on and nothing happened. Still, I cut the power, unplugged everything and dried it off. Now I'm just concerned with moisture inside the power strip. I'll probably just pick one up anyway.

    To be honest, I hate them. They get so dusty when nothing's plugged in and I'm terrible afraid of a fire caused by one.
     
  6. dwfaust macrumors 68040

    dwfaust

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Location:
    I am here =>[*]
    #6
    Again, as long as it's completely dried out, it should present no problems. However, one can buy those things for under $10 all day long, so if it's a real source of concern, trash it and replace it.

    As for the dust and fire risk, I buy the little safety plugs (like for baby-proofing outlet) and stick those in the unused plugs. They are soft plastic and can be cut to fit, if necessary.
     
  7. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

    Traverse

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2013
    Location:
    Here
    #7
    Thank you for all of your feedback. My friend buys those, I think I will too. As for now, I think I'll used some compressed air to get dust out of my still in-use power strips.
     
  8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

    BrianBaughn

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2011
    Location:
    Baltimore, Maryland
    #8
    They aren't as cheap but I prefer the "power squid" type things, particularly if there are clunky plugs or wall warts involved.
     
  9. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

    Traverse

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2013
    Location:
    Here
    #9
    I had never even heard of those until now!
     

Share This Page