Spilled water on two year-old Macbook.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jmallen2982, Jun 11, 2009.

1. jmallen2982 macrumors newbie

:(

It's been a rough two days. I first (somehow) ruined my iMac's aluminum keyboard by cleaning it with a damp sponge. I had no idea it would be that sensitive.

Last night, I ruined my laptop by spilling water all over the keyboard. This was a very fatal spill. My computer was on, and I spilled an entire glass of water on the keyboard. I tried to get to it quickly and turn it off, but it actually shut down before I could get a chance :(

I take that this was a bad sign! In fact when I plugged the charger back in, I didn't even get a light on the magnetized connector.

At any rate. I'm sure that it'd dead, but I'm just curious about asking the community here what my options are now. I've seen a few people here mention the possibility of selling it "as is" on ebay, and some people seemed to have good success doing so. So I guess what I'd like to ask, what is the best way of doing this? What parts are likely to be salvageable? I've seen a huge disparity in the listings on ebay, so I'd like to get some input from you guys to see if I could possibly get any money from it. Are there other people who will buy computers for parts?

I spoke to a buddy and he mentioned the possibility of selling the parts individually. Any ideas if that would be a better way to go, or not?

2. gavin83209 macrumors regular

There is a chance that you may be able to salvage the display and the power adaptor, but other than that, I highly doubt that there is anything else of value. If you sell it part by part, it is unlikely that everything will be taken, but if you sell it whole, it will probably fetch less than if you sold everything. Without knowing the specific damages, I can't tell you anything else.

Good luck!

3. JBazz macrumors 6502

take the batter out, turn it upside down and let it dry several days. see how it goes.

If you replace it, get a keyboard protector. For under twenty dollars you could save yourself the cost of replacing your laptop. I keep telling people that and no one wants to hear it.

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Just make sure you advertise it saying that it had a FULL glass of water spilled on it. Be 100% honest.

5. koobcam321 macrumors newbie

Did your notebook contain personal data? Check your hard disk with another notebook, and see if that could miraculously boot. Salvage any personal data and remove them permanently from the disk.

If no success in booting, then throw it off selling. But to ensure full privacy protection, i wont include the hard disk for sales.