Spilled Water over Keyboard, Need Advice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by n2i2jjfr, Jun 2, 2011.

1. n2i2jjfr macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have a new 2011 MBP 15-inch.

I spilled a small amount of water (about a tablespoon or two or three) over the right side of the keyboard. I immediately took a towel and dabbed it over the macbook. I instinctively shut down the computer. I then restarted the computer and everything worked fine for the five minutes I kept it on. I read forums and heard of it working for a while, and then stopping.

I went ahead and shut it off and turned it upside down with a fan blowing on the keyboard. Would you say I'm in luck if the computer continued working after the spill?

Should I keep a fan on the keyboard or put it in the sun?

I'm worried about my 2200 dollar computer, and would love the best advice I could get!

2. clickclickw00t macrumors regular

NEVER ever.

AND I MEAN EVER.

Turn on something after you've spilled something on it, especially if it is just water.

Let it dry. Always, for at least 24 hours. The water will evaporate.
    When you turned your laptop on, you basically send electricity through the system and the water probably fried something. You'll probably need a new logic board ($600)

3. n2i2jjfr thread starter macrumors newbie

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Pack it in a big ziplock bag with dry rice overnight to draw out the water. It works better than a fan.

5. clickclickw00t macrumors regular

If you're posting from it now, I would say that is very bad lol

6. n2i2jjfr thread starter macrumors newbie

No haha, the computer is upside down, shut off, resting between two books with a big fan in the middle blowing onto the keyboard.