Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sambobsessed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
I just spilled water over my MacBook Pro keyboard and trackpad. I turned it off within 15 seconds and turned it upside down. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anyone been here and have any tips on what and what not to do? Please and thank you!

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
My old 2.53 C2D MBP took 6 weeks to dry out completely after my son poured a cup of water directly into the fan vents in the back of it. I tried turning it one once a week for the first four weeks, skipped the 5th and was pricing new MBPs, when I held off the purchase button as something in my mind said "give it one more chance" - Boom, starts up, and has been working for over two years since.

My only point is that you may consider it totaled, before every chance has been given to revive it.

Good luck, it can survive. I would hold off for many days before trying to start it up.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Wrap some cheesecloth around it and stick it in a bag of rice. Rice absorbs moisture really good. I would use a lot of rice and put it in a plastic bag so it's absorbing the moisture from the laptop and not the air.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Pray for the best, and see what its like tomorrow.

Tomorrow is way too soon if you don't want it to experience kernel panics down the line.

Water doesn't lead electricity.
Should be fine.

Typical water contains many conductive elements. Turning it on quickly could short circuit something. That would be one of the reasons you don't clean the inside with water. If you had to redo thermal paste or something, you would use isopropyl.

DrunkinMacbook

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2014
try to take it apart asap to let it dry out/DONT turn it on when it is wet.

then when it is dry try turning it on if it works test all features if they work

but if it dont work then take a toothbrush and alcohol to the motherboard if you see any water damage simply brush it.

Good LUCK!!:)

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013
There should be a mass thread for everyone who uses liquids in the proximity of their laptops. There's a new thread on this every single week. The advice is always the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.