Spilled wine on macbook pro keyboard :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Beso, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Beso macrumors newbie

Hi guys

As titles says My GF spilled a glass of wine on my macbook pro 13 inch keyboard when it was on, so what I done I turned it off left it open for a few days and then i turned it on and it worked for a while and then it turned off now it wont turn on again.

When i try to turn it on it makes the sound on the HD like its goin to boot and the light in front turns on but nothing alse no sound no keyboard light no screen display Nothing :(

I am not sure what it is I've opened the inside hooked the screen up with another macbookpro and screen works fine,

i got no clue what to do any more :/ any advice would be helpful

Thanks

Beso

2. BubbaMc macrumors regular

Should have taken it apart and cleaned it immediately. Chances are that your logic board is now corroded and it's screwed.

Take it apart anyway and see where the damage is.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Get your GF to pay for the repairs... that's if she's still your GF.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

haha someone likes his mac? :D

but yeah, the problem is there is probably sugar dried onto the logic board, sugar conducts electricity, thus shorting things. thats the exact same issue with coke, and no.1 reason I drink diet!

6. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

There are many, many horrible things in diet coke that would ruin your MBP too ;)

7. OptamusPriem macrumors newbie

WHAT?! sugar doesn't conduct electricity and is that really the reason why you don't drink regular coke?

8. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

9. Beso thread starter macrumors newbie

red wine lol

made her buy me a brand new one,

Its just the thing is i only had it for a few months.

logic board = mother board?

10. miata macrumors 6502

I did the same thing to a 2007 15" MBP. I immediately whipped everything clean and let it sit. However, I should probably have taken it apart, a a week later the graphics went out. What happens is that a small amount of wine can cause a lot of damage over time. You are really screwed as this repair will not be covered by Apple Care -- and the motherboard cost almost as much as a replacement refurb system.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like using a laptop stand, there's several advantages. First there's a fan on the bottom to cool it, and second it raises the level of the laptop. Its off the desk, so if I do spill anything then the risk of getting it on the laptop is pretty minimal.

As an added bonus, I use a keyboard and mouse (and monitor) which I prefer over the laptop keyboard.

12. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

no your right - no, not the only one.

13. miata macrumors 6502

Yeah. What are the chances? I too had a stand when I got my wine spill. I had something drop from a shelf above and when I tried to grab it I hit the wine glass which splatted the wine sideways and all over the the keyboard.

Since then I only drink wine in a low profile tumbler when I am near the laptop.

14. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

that macbook was done for the minute you had turned it on :(

15. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

This seems totally like something my gf would do...so clumsy and not very careful with expensive electronics.

16. Beso thread starter macrumors newbie

Since there's no solutions so far, I'm gonna see if how much the repair man at my local shop going to charge me for it :/

the thing is Macbook and macbook pro the new additions have NO wholes at the bottum of it theres

17. miata macrumors 6502

The MacBooks cool by convecting heat from the bottom which as many of us know if pretty hot. No need for vents.

18. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Lol thats blatantly wrong. There are vents where the screen connects to the laptop. where the black plastic is.

19. miata macrumors 6502

Somebody was asking about holes (vents) on the bottom -- which don't exist. However, even without holes the MacBook pros use the bottom to dissipate heat. That is why it is so hot. Sure there are vents for circulating air through the chassis, but that works somewhat independent of the convention heating from an exposed bottom.

My point was that a stand can help the Mac dissipate heat. In a previous life I used to do this kind of thermal design for much larger systems

20. erasr macrumors 6502

I was at work and left an open bottle of APPLE juice next to my MBP (5 months old). The office gathered around for a meeting and some guy sat on the desk, leaned back and knocked the bottle over my MBP.

Omg. Worse feeling ever! Immediately flipped it upside down. Half the bottle went on it though. Shook it and got loads of it back out.

Later, after trying it again, it worked fine. Perfectly in fact! Then the trackpad went and wouldn't move, still doesn't work.

Taking it into the Apple Store tomorrow (UK), so I was wondering...will they be able to replace the top bit with the keys too? If so, how much will it cost?

I heard a quote of £60 ish knocking around.

21. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Make the guy pay for a logic board and top case replacement because that'll be a problem