Spilt drink on laptop keybord, any1 help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZionRecords, Mar 12, 2008.

1. ZionRecords macrumors newbie

Hey peeps, stupidly the other night i spilt some coke over my laptop, and now the arrow keys dont work and some of the other keys above are screwed.
    i know a place u can get the keybord spair part for £46, and iv found a site were it tells you how to do it, both me and my dad are all good with computers, do u think its worth risking it?
    its only 5months old would the warenty cover it????

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i hope you turned it off and removed the battery asap once it happened.

any residue COULD cause a short circuit and then f up your machine

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

oh man if it was water you can simply turn everything off and remove the battery and wait about a few days and everything will be ok.

One thing I did read about people doing is you dip the whole board inside some liquid that just cleans everything and once it drys up everything works fine.

4. ZionRecords thread starter macrumors newbie

o_0?

iv g2 take it to the genius bar 2day, probs gonna throw a huge bill my way cus i think its worse than i thought, right light sensor dosnt work, when i put it to sleep nothing will wake i up unless u hold the power button for 2 seconds (random i know), not good. Need to do my music and im screwed lol.

5. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Ugh, dude you gotta stop with the leet speak / texting contraction. Most of us on this forum are very unfriendly to any type of writing that makes reading your comment harder for us to do. Especially if you're looking for sympathy or information or ideas from us, then you gotta make it easy for us to read your comment instead of just selfishly writing it in whatever way is easiest for you.

I'm not being a pedant, if you accidentally misspell something or use poor but understandable grammar, then that's fine. And I'm not yelling at you or anything, it's just that since you're a newbie to the forum I'm giving you a friendly heads up about how to get the best responses around here.

Welcome aboard. :)

6. ZionRecords thread starter macrumors newbie

Soz man, my spelling isnt exactly my strong point. Will try to make things a little better to read.
    J

7. TheVandit macrumors member

TheVandit

My mate did exactly this with apple cider (irony haha) and he went to his home insurance and they got him a brand spankin new one!

8. Psydrop macrumors newbie

always funny when someone is stupid enough to spill drinks on the keyboard:D

it's kind of the same when someone drops their baby on it's head...

just don't put drinks to close to you mbp period.

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

hey things happen, sometime the drink is away from you but the laptop is on your lap and you reach over to get your drink and you have a quick drink then slips and uh oh.:eek:

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

All I know is it costs $1200US to get it fixed.

11. ZionRecords thread starter macrumors newbie

lol $1200 i dont think so, its a 30min job with a £40 part, anyone with some basic skills on building computers should be able to do it.

12. cujoe86 macrumors member

if you do decide to fix it yourself, my favorite apple DIY site is iFixit.com

check it out and see if its worth it.

13. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Not so. Unfortunately, the real damage is to the logic board, not the physical keyboard. The keyboard its self is just a bunch of physical keys and pressure receptors that connect to the "brains" of the computer, and thats where the damage (probably) is; and its not a £40 fix.

14. ZionRecords thread starter macrumors newbie

15. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Because damage to the keyboard would not cause keystrokes to not work unless the key was physically blocked from movement or removed entirely.

Don't get me wrong, it could just be the keyboard, but from how you describe it it sounds like an internal issue.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No the $1200 is a flat rate for accidental damage. They basically give you a new computer

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My keyboard shorted out with 2 keys not working from liquid damage
    No issues with the logic board

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And don't carry babies upside down. :)

19. TK B$K macrumors 6502

20. ZionRecords thread starter macrumors newbie

lol looks like its gonna have to be a "oops i dropped it job". better payin about the same as $400 for the insurance claim than $$$ from apple.

21. Joko macrumors 6502

Joko

Lots of technical and practical help here.

Although seriously, I suggest not drinking (or eating or smoking) around your expensive laptop.
    It's just not worth it.