Spilt Iced Tea, still starts up but...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lookafteryou, Dec 26, 2010.

1. lookafteryou macrumors newbie

Alright, so I got a new MBP for christmas and had the bad luck, two days later, to spill iced tea on the top left corner(stupid, I know). I wiped it up straight away but my comp immediately shut down. Stupidly, i booted it up straight away, and it starts up but the CPU runs at about 90% the whole time with the fans running high and then it shuts down after about 10 minutes.

What can I do? I'm not too keen to take it apart to dry it out that way and I live in a city with no apple store, however, I am headed to LV for 4 days tomorrow. As I'm going away for a month, I'm keen to get this sorted asap. Help anyone?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Taking it to the store isn't going to do anything ... Apple doesn't cover spills.

3. lookafteryou thread starter macrumors newbie

I know spills aren't covered but I'm willing to pay for a repair. And I've checked out that link, I was hoping to find out what was actually shorting out?

4. occams razor macrumors regular

I feel your pain. I have ruined many keyboards to the point where I have a tv tray that sits next to my desk for food.

5. Individual macrumors member

I spilled water on my MacBook (it wasn't a pro - just a normal white one) before and when I took it to the Apple store I was told to replace the screen it would cost me $600.00. The motherboard wasn't really wet they said, however I was told they are able to tell when something turns pink and corrodes in the hard drive and if I wanted to get that replace it would be upwards of $800 (plus the $600 for the screen).. I did have applecare too, but they don't cover waterspills.. whats ridiculous is I only paid $1300 for my macbook and to repair both things I was told it would have cost me about $1400.00 (how does that even make sense?)

needless to say it is a really crappy situation and I ended up not getting mine fixed. I hope yours is fine after it dries..

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Yeah, turning it back on was the dealbreaker as it causes shorts on the logicboard, the priciest part. Before having Apple repair it, talk to local Apple authorized repair centers as they are usually half the price of Apple and are certified to do the same quality of work.

7. lookafteryou thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advice and help :) I lucked out and its working fine now.

8. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Oh man that sucks. I am glad you got it working, but just let the thing dry and settle down for a bit before you go using it.

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Run some of the tests that can examine the hardware to determine if the system is detecting any problems.