Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dargo21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Fullerton, California
Ok, so I spilt water on my iBook a few weeks ago, and it never came back to life. :( I have since purchased a 12" PowerBook G4 (they were on sale for $999 at my college bookstore).

My question is, is there anyway to get my data off of the hard drive that was in my iBook? I do not think it was hurt at all... I think the water just fried the logic board.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
dargo21 said:
Ok, so I spilt water on my iBook a few weeks ago, and it never came back to life. :( I have since purchased a 12" PowerBook G4 (they were on sale for $999 at my college bookstore).

My question is, is there anyway to get my data off of the hard drive that was in my iBook? I do not think it was hurt at all... I think the water just fried the logic board.

take it apart, remove the hard drive and put it in some other enclosure. whether said enclosure is another notebook or an external firewire (if you want to boot from it) or USB enclosure is up to you. FYI, the hard drive from the ibook is a 2.5" (thats the diameter of the disk), ATA/IDE connector, 9.5mm (the vertical thickness), notebook hard drive, so you need an enclosure that a 2.5"/9.5mm ATA/IDE drive would fit in. you can find them for about $20 for the cheap usb ones on ebay, $40 for firewire.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
If the hard drive did in fact survive, you should be able to pull it out and put it into an external enclosure, then connect it to your PB just like an external drive.

domzanghi

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2006
dargo21 said:
is there anyway to get my data off of the hard drive that was in my iBook?
Does the old computer boot up at all?
If so, you can connect your old computer to the new computer via firewire (you may need to buy a cable). Boot up the old computer while holding down "T". This will start the computer as an external hard drive & will show up on your desktop.
If you can't boot your computer at all, you can take the hard drive out of the old computer & put it in another computer (that will boot up) or in an external hard drive case.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
As others have said, remove the hard drive from the laptop and put it in an external enclosure for 2.5" ATA hard drives.

Enclosures that use USB 1.1/2.0 are cheap: OWC has them starting at just $16 plus shipping. I picked one up from my local Microcenter for about $20. Firewire enclosures are more expensive but can have better performance, depending on what drive you have and what you're hooking it up to. For just basic data transfer USB should be more than adequate though.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
i spilled a glass of water all over my 17" pb this weekend and i swear i saw my life flash before my eyes. i turned it off immediately and unpluged everything, then the battery. i had it held my two boxes on its sides upside down with a fan under it for 4 hours. luckily, it worked and my pb is back in action.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
This post reminded me of when I was watching 24 on my 12" PB in bed, got up to run to the bathroom, and when I started to stand up I knocked over a large glass of water onto my system. Worst moment ever. Not only did the glass hit the LCD and crack the screen (worst I've ever seen) but the water fried the system.

And it was only about a month old!

direzz

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Subiklim said:
This post reminded me of when I was watching 24 on my 12" PB in bed, got up to run to the bathroom, and when I started to stand up I knocked over a large glass of water onto my system. Worst moment ever. Not only did the glass hit the LCD and crack the screen (worst I've ever seen) but the water fried the system.

omg. some one shuld buy u a new one. if i was rich i so would.

Eluon

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Spring, Texas
Subiklim said:

at least you were watching a worthy show, 24.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
direzz said:
omg. some one shuld buy u a new one. if i was rich i so would.

This was over a year ago, I went out and bought the same one a few days later. Fantastic system, and durable, so long as you don't drop glasses on it ;-)

Keep me in mind when you do become rich, I'll gladly accept a new computer anytime :D

dargo21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Fullerton, California
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll probably find a cheap enclosure on ebay like chaos86 suggested.
Does the old computer boot up at all?
If so, you can connect your old computer to the new computer via firewire (you may need to buy a cable). Boot up the old computer while holding down "T". This will start the computer as an external hard drive & will show up on your desktop.
If you can't boot your computer at all, you can take the hard drive out of the old computer & put it in another computer (that will boot up) or in an external hard drive case.
No, it doesn't boot at all. It came to life once for a couple of seconds about two weeks ago (but not since, i've tried it every day), which leads me to believe that the hard drive is ok.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
dargo21 said:

GOOD JOB, BUDDY!:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.