Spilt water on Macbook, now acting funny...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlackSoUl, Aug 10, 2007.

1. BlackSoUl macrumors member

Hey, so in Greece my sister decided to pour kettle water over my macbook... nice of her, huh? I've put it in the airing cupboard (to dry it out) for a few days now thinking it was dead... Tonight, I don't know what made me try (because my battery was full), I plugged the adaptor in and i heard the sound it makes when it boots up!
    Well, after that I thought, why is the screen so dim? I could see faintly garageband on the screen so I tried turning up the brightness but it was on "full", then it randomly went to sleep... Has been doing so over since. I've rebooted and managed (after sleep, wake, sleep, wake....) to put in my password and boot it up between sleeps every 5 secs. What can I do to resolve this? I know it works... Is the screen damaged?

Any input would be gratefully received!

Thank you, Ben

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The logic board is probably fried.

Only Apple can fix it at this point and I'm not sure if Apple covers that (applecare).

3. BlackSoUl thread starter macrumors member

eeek i don't like the sound of that!
    is it dangerous to keep switched on?

thanks for your help!

so applecare doesn't include accidental damage?
    how much would this cost me?

Finally, is there any way of rescuing my pictures, work, folders...?

Thank you, Ben

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

She poured boiling hot water on your Macbook? Room temperature water generally is a no-go but since it's one of the safer liquids to spill on a computer, it doesn't particuarly bode well if scalding hot water made contact with any of the components.

5. volvoben macrumors 6502

Bring it to Apple. If your hdd isn't dead they can take any data off of it. You could also do this yourself, but you'd need another computer, and you'll have to bring it to apple to be fixed anyway.

6. BlackSoUl thread starter macrumors member

Gymnut
    thanks for your reply
    it's far from funny, but you made me laugh... boiling water probably wasn't the best to pour on it if it had to happen...

I'm surprised it turns on... been reading and I think i can kiss my AppleCare and warranty goodbye... :(

7. BlackSoUl thread starter macrumors member

Hello, thanks.
    How would I go about doing this myself? It would work with a PC right? (it has firewire). Heard about this method but I'm not sure what to google...

Thanks, Ben

8. ipaqowner macrumors member

He can't "bring" it to Apple...but he can "take" it to them.

9. BlackSoUl thread starter macrumors member

What can apple do though?
    Accidental damage is not covered... I really don't mind paying but I'm expecting it to be a lot!

My main goal for the moment is to recover my files...

Ben

10. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

well, you could pull out the harddrive, put it in an external case and hook it up to another computer to see if it works...

what you should be doing is making your sister buy you a new computer (it sounds like she poured the water on purpose, no?)

11. BlackSoUl thread starter macrumors member

That's probably the best advice yet (about both points)

I don't know if she did it on purpose, she's childish, arrogant and so far from reality... oh, and nearly 20!

Thanks for the enclosure point, i'll try that :) will, void my warranty right?
    (not that i've got that to worry about now!)

Ben

12. caffeeneaddict macrumors regular

ok the same thing happened to me but with gatorade and this is what apple told me: 1. if the macbook was a car, it might as well be wrapped around a pole. 2.It's warranty doesn't cover it. 3 They can fix it. but it costs $1000.

sorry dude

13. BlackSoUl thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply... Nice to hear the "good news"... lol...
    I thought it may be expensive but I was thinking maybe £100-200!
    Looks like a chunk out of either mine or my sister's bank account...

Thanks for the replies everyone!

14. volvoben macrumors 6502

I'm not sure this is the place for such grammatical discussions, or if you're attempting humor, but in this case I was imagining the OP being overseas because he mentioned he was in Greece and bringing the computer home to the states (and to apple). I was probably completely wrong in assuming he's american and will bring it here to the states, however the incredibly boring point i'm making is that it's correct grammar to tell him 'bring your fried macbook back here to apple', isn't it? I understand bring = come and take = go, but if i'm screwing it up I'd like to know!

15. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

16. ipaqowner macrumors member

The Apple warranty is worldwide...there are Apple stores in Greece as well.

17. BlackSoUl thread starter macrumors member

Hey
    Thanks for all your replies. The incident actually happened on my day of departure so I'm back in the UK now. I'll take it in on Monday and see what they can do for me, I'm about an hour from London on the train... I can't believe Logic-Boards cost so much though! Should I just buy a new MacBook?

Thanks everyone