Spilt water on my keyboard! "I" key not responding at all!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mookout, May 29, 2008.

1. Mookout macrumors newbie

Hey,

so I'm using my brothers MacBook Pro (intel) and I accidentally split water on the keyboard.

I turned it upside down and dried best as I could with a towel.

Everything was fine for a while, but now the letter 'I' isn't responding at all.

Im using the keyboard viewer just for that letter, but yeah I need to get this fixed.

Anyone have any ideas or might guess at how much itll be to fix at a mac shop??

cheers

2. rhyx macrumors 6502

You would have to replace the entire upper case. Look on eBay for pricing.

This would not be covered by Apple's warranty.

Just an FYI - you're lucky that is all the stopped working. Liquid spills can easily kill an entire machine.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Give it some time. I'd suggest drying with a hair dryer. Functionality may return.

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

if the trackpad still works, then only the keyboard itself needs replacing. Not the top case.

5. akm3 macrumors 68020

We experienced this the hard way, ouch!

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

cheaper to do it yourself, if you are so inclined

if apple does it, it will be a couple of hundred... and yeah, the keyboard most likely has to be replaced

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well... maybe. I spilled coke on my iBook G4, pulled the whole thing apart, dried it out, put it back together, and... several keys didn't work. After a couple days, all the keys except one (right cursor arrow) worked. After a few months, even the cursor arrow worked again.

8. bigfatdummy macrumors newbie

bigfatdummy

I would take it apart and check it. If one key isnt working and thats all, then maybe you have a drop of water still in that area. I've had over 200 laptops at one time or another, (at my work) and I have only had 1 keyboard actually die. Its been my experience that you can usually clean/dry out the issue.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Don't consume liquids near your computer!

Seems like it's every single week that someone comes to those forums with something spilt on their notebook, complaining of some malfunction. I'm sorry it's happened to your and you've learnt the hard way. But when will the rest of you gonna learn not to drink or consume liquids near your beloved electronic toy?

If you've only damaged the keyboard you should think yourself lucky!
    It could of been a whole lot worst! How about a fried laptop, for example.

Anyway..

Chances are if you've spilt water on the keyboard and certain keys ain't working. It's probably because there's still water lodged between the plastic membranes that makes up the keyboard. If i were you... I'd wouldn't be switching the system on yet, instead i'll be leaving the system to dry possibly in a warm and well ventilated cupboard for atleast a week!!

10. bigfatdummy macrumors newbie

bigfatdummy

I found this for you. I didn't look for alternate prices. I just picked the 1st google search result. Most likely you can find it cheaper if you search. However, 67.77 is cheap when you think of the cost of a fried MB.

Apple Replacement Keyboard for MacBook Pro 15" or 17" (Core 2 Duo) 922-8350
    Price: $67.77

Here is the link:
    http://www.mac-pro.com/Apple-Keyboard-for-MacBook-Pro-15-or-17-922-7908_2

11. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

How long did you wait before turning the machine on?

12. rhyx macrumors 6502

If you turn it on too early you short circuit things and have an expensive brick.