Spilt water on my keyboard; please help me.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KnowNol, Dec 11, 2009.

1. KnowNol macrumors member

This is the damage.

Everything works expect the backlit keyboards. How much would a repair cost?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe we need a "I spilled [insert liquid type here] on my laptop please help sticky

along with a "Is now a good time to buy a laptop" sticky

3. KnowNol thread starter macrumors member

Well, my only problem is that those keys dont light up. Would Apple fix this for free?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, they will not fix it for free. They will not cover anything caused by accidental/liquid damage.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not a chance. Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare cover damage from accidents.

6. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Probably $50. Those keyboards cost $20 if you want to try it yourself.

7. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

If you even go to apple they will probably void your whole warranty, better go to a repair place and they might replace it without voiding your warranty
    Not really sure tho if opening the macbooks does void your warranty too

8. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Only if they can tell it's been opened.

I have opened at least 3 machines that apple did warranty service work on where the screws near the battery weren't inserted all the way, as if they were using a screwdriver with a thick handle & base so they had to insert it at an angle. When looking to void your warranty, they are going to look for the same mistakes they themselves make when opening and reassembling the machine. There are places out there that do things a bit more stealthy.

9. vant macrumors 65816

It doesn't matter if it has been opened if the submerge indicators are triggered.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I also believe water damage tends to stain some of the components. I'm not sure if that is the case as I have no real experience but I recall reading as much on one of those "oh crap I spilled water" threads

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There are indicators that change color under the keyboard. If they are triggered, warranty void.

12. PK! macrumors newbie

Apart from the color indicators, Apple puts a special coating on the screws so that they can tell when a laptop has been opened (or someone has made an attempt at opening it).

13. todd2fst4u macrumors regular

:confused::confused: how would they check that the coating is still there without removing the screws themselves??

14. mingoglia macrumors 6502

I'd take the advice of another poster and just buy the keyboard somewhere and either do it yourself, or have someone else replace it. The security screws or any other anti-tamper devices are a joke and are used merely to intimidate end users from opening their computer. Granted if you open it up and screw something up the particular part that you screwed up won't be covered, but the magnuson-moss warranty act specifically allows you to replace your own components. A general rule of thumb is if it's something that's physically possible to service by Apple, then you can do it yourself (granted you take precautions). By this I mean you can't crack open a hard drive and expect it to not void the hard drive warranty. This is because a hard drive would never be serviced...it's a replacement item.

15. ChefJayPeek macrumors regular

This is definitely not true. The Polycarb MacBooks have user serviceable HD's and Ram. There is no coating on the screws to tell if the metal shield has been removed.

Chef Jay

16. KnowNol thread starter macrumors member

If I go to Apple, the worst thing they can say is I have to pay for the repair. I can always say no. I should at least visit an Apple store before doing any repair myself.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

but then they will have noted that you damaged your computer and your warranty is now null and void.

18. mingoglia macrumors 6502

Again, the magnuson-moss warranty act prevents a manufacturer from making a warranty "null and void". If he damaged the keyboard, the rest of the warranty is still in place unless the damage he caused caused damage somewhere else as well.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ok let me rephrase it. His warranty is void because of the damage caused by his neglect. He can try to repair/replace the components but because of the sensors and other indicators showing water damage he affectively will not have any warranty on his MBP. I hate to sound harsh and I feel for the OP but it is what it is.

20. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

How the heck can apple tell that it was "unscrewed" if they have to remove the screws themselves?

And by the way, before you spread facts that do not make sense:

The coating on the screw threads that Apple puts is similar to LocTite, to prevent the screws the "unscrewing" itself.
    http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg/henkel_us/hs.xsl/product-search-1554.htm?param1=subsubapplicationRedDotUID=|subapplicationRedDotUID=00000002IP|applicationRedDotUID=0000000276|advanced=|brandRedDotUID=________________0000000389|pageIndex=0|action=search|

21. KnowNol thread starter macrumors member

I didnt buy one though, I only have the limited warranty right now.

22. vant macrumors 65816

It doesn't matter if the laptop has been opened. The RAM and HD is user replaceable.

23. vant macrumors 65816

Spilling water on any part of the laptop would void the entire warranty.

The act you speak of is more interested in cars, not laptops where all functions are controlled from a motherboard.

24. vant macrumors 65816

And that limited warranty would be voided.