Spin classes?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by letsgorangers, Nov 13, 2007.

1. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

Anyone here spin? If so, what are your experiences? Were you already physically fit / athletic before beginning the classes?

My school offers 3 spin classes a week, and I want to go but I'm a bit wary. Up until about a month ago, I wasn't very active other than walking and the occasional run. I now go to the gym 5 days for ~30 minutes each time. I use the exercise bikes (upright not recumbent) and I've been pretty consistent with maintaining 90+ RPM through the workout. I guess my question is, would it be wise to keep up with the exercise biking for the next month or two and start spinning in January once I'm a bit more fit? Or would it be ok to jump into it now? I will also mention that I had knee surgery a year ago (one year and 11 days to be exact!) and I do find my knee gets sore at the beginning of a workout but is usually ok by the end. I guess I really just don't want to be that one person huffing and puffing and dying while everyone else can keep up.:eek:

Thoughts?

2. foidulus macrumors 6502a

As a hardcore commuter cyclist

I don't "spin" unless I expect to be somewhere different at the end :p

On a slightly more serious note, would bicycle commuting be realistic for you? If not, try biking to the store and/or on small errands. You can get a workout, save money on gas and save the environment at the same time:D

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Spin can definitely be good for you, and the variable resistance on the spin bikes gives you a ton of control over the effort you need to put into it.

But if everyone's doing it right, they'll all be huffing and puffing.

I've done triathlon-specific spin sessions as part of my training, and it helped my cycling stamina immensely.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I did a spin class once and it kicked my ass. I wasn't it particularly great shape, but I wasn't completely out of shape, either. I wouldn't mind making a habit of it, but I would definitely need to get in better shape before starting; just tuning up, really.

I say go ahead and take a single class, if you can, and see how it works for you. From there you'll be able to better tell if it is something you're ready for or not.

5. letsgorangers thread starter macrumors 6502

I was hoping to not have to disclose this, but...the knee surgery was the result of falling off of a bike :eek: (but once they were in, they went ahead and did a lateral release because my knee cap pulls to the outside) No doubt a result of not having been on a bike in years (and never having been on a road bike), nerves, etc. So as much as I would like to ride a REAL bike, my gut just isn't on board. I am fine until I actually sit on a bike and then I just get a bad feeling in my gut.

tobefirst: This is what I imagine my experience will be like, hence being wary.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Depends a lot on the instructor and the music that they choose to play.

I'd suggest you need to be reasonably fit although from what you're saying you should be OK - and see if there's a class that more beginners go to. Some instructors are very up on keeping the entire class 'on time'; others are more keen on just making sure everyone's working as hard as they individually can.

The idea with the resistance is that everyone keeps it where they are putting in an effort - so everyone should be huffing and puffing. You'll just be doing it at a lower resistance.

Must confess that I'm currently trying spin out again since I got bored first time round. This time I know an instructor but the class still doesn't energise me the way something like Body Pump does. I'd rather work out to music that I choose on the treadmill, elliptical or cardiowave. The reason that I'm giving it a second try though is because it is a good way of making you do more interval-type training rather than getting stuck in a rut on your own.

7. letsgorangers thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I went ahead and went for it. Surprisingly there was someone I knew in the class and she helped me out a lot. I messed up the resistance though so my whole workout was really really low resistance. It was still very very intense. It was fun and I intend to go back and try it with the resistance right next time. :eek: RE: the music, I really only noticed what was playing twice maybe. The rest of the time I was so focused on counting and breathing that I didn't even notice.

One question -- We stretched and all that but when I left and walked down the stairs my knees were giving out at every step. Is this an issue I need to address with my knees or could it just be from leg shakiness from not being used to that sort of thing?

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

My legs always feel rubbery after spinning...it means you've been working hard. ;)

9. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

spinning is awesome! i should start dong it more often...