Spin Retry Count on new HD in OptiBay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leefisher, Feb 12, 2011.

1. leefisher, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

leefisher macrumors newbie

Dear all,

I purchased a 1gb Toshiba drive 2 weeks ago which I placed in the OptiBay, and noticed that already it has an issue with Spin Retry Count and my hard drive is displayed as 51.2% healthy and failing. Any idea why, if this is common and importantly if it is at all fixable. It also has had 8 reallocated bad sectors.

Many thanks,

Lee

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a bad hard drive. Bad sectors are not a good thing. I'd back up your data, erase the drive, and send it in for replacement. I don't think putting it in the Optibay has anything to do with it.

3. Detrius macrumors 68000

...and when you replace the drive, don't replace it with the absolute largest on the market. They tend to be a lot less reliable.

4. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

How did you get that info?

I have a hitachi travelstar 7k500 and want to check if it is failing.

5. leefisher thread starter macrumors newbie

I use the app Disk Radar to tell me graphically how much space is available on each partition and another feature of that app is that it runs diagnostics on every drive.

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'll return it and hope that another drive fixes the problem. It couldn't be that I installed the OptiBay wrong or the drive isn't connected properly in the OptiBay, no?

Many thanks,

Lee