Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Spindown a Hard Drive in Optibay

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
The script probably doesnt point to the drive you want to unmount, you will need to edit the script and put in the appropriate drive

Is that as simple as opening the services to edit them in automated, and changing the end of the script to read "MacHDD" (which is the name of the disk I want to unmount)?

Comment

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
I have an optibay setup as well and I find that the drive spinning seems to kill battery life quite a bit...

Instead of bothering with scripts, what time should I set the drive spindown time to so that it does not spindown too soon (wasting battery power as the drive will have to spin up again) and so that it does not spin for too long.

I only keep documents, dropbox, torrents, music, etc on the HDD... I rarely use them though :S

Comment

cibby

macrumors member
May 27, 2005
I have an ssd in the hard drive bay and hdd in an optibay. I'm finding the hdd noisy compared to when I just had the ssd in it. Its not the access sound but rather sounds more like a fan. Is there a noise advantage from it being spun up when it's in the hard drive bay vs the optibay? My 2010 MBP w a regular hd is super quiet so wondering if it's the location. Also, does hd brand make a difference on the noise level when it's spun up?

Comment

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
The HDD bay is dampened and sound-insulated to an extent and the ODD most definitely is not. What you're describing is just a disadvantage of having han HDD in the optibay.

Comment

cibby

macrumors member
May 27, 2005
I didn't know that. Do you think it would make a big difference to swap the drives so the SSD is in the optibay? I can certainly just try it for myself but would prefer to avoid opening up the MBP again if it's not going to make much difference.

Comment

cibby

macrumors member
May 27, 2005
I asked OWC if switching bays would make a difference on reducing the HD "spin" noise. They said there is no difference in sound insulation for the two areas. Has anyone ever compared how it sounds between the two?

Comment

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
I wouldn't put an HD in the Optibay, as I'm not convinced the cooling is very good in there. SSD's aren't really heat sensitive, so they're not an issue. I have my HDD in the HDD bay, and my SSD in the Optibay. Works great.

Even loading projects for Logic my Optibay HDD consistently runs cooler than my boot drive, and they're both identical 7200RPM/500GB. It can cool through the keyboard plus there's the huge slot next to it originally for the CD drive that it can probably use

Comment

RumoRi

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2011
Time Machine backup

Hello, this thread saved my day! I have an optibay with my old HDD and a SSD where the old drive used to sit, and it was REALLY annoying when the HDD kept on spinning up and down, causing the system to lag.

I used the apple script trick in Lion to eject the HDD, and it works as advertised. My only concern is the Time Machine backup... All my pictures are stored on the HDD (which is now ejected), and I would like Time Machine to continue to make a backup of those pictures. Is there a way to mount the disk to let Time Machine do its thing, and then eject it again automatically?

Thanks for the help
RumoRi

Comment

thadoggfather

macrumors G5
Oct 1, 2007
yeah i do HDD in HD spot and SSD in optibay.

Been working great for a year.

Never thought to do it the other way around. SSD in optibay seems like the safer route as others have alluded to.

Comment

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
With so many people swapping out ODD for HDD, why hasn't anyone created an aluminum (or other material) snap in cover for the CD slot? That might be nice.

Comment

wickedny5

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
With so many people swapping out ODD for HDD, why hasn't anyone created an aluminum (or other material) snap in cover for the CD slot? That might be nice.

They exist already, you just have to look for them. I found this one on ebay from china for $19.99 and free shipping. took 12 days to get here but for the price it was worth it, build quality is pretty good. The apple logo is not advertised in the auction but does come in the box, makes sense though, apple would shut them down immediately. here is the auction if you'd like to purchase it http://www.ebay.com/itm/18073562440...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648#ht_4831wt_895 IMAG0468-1.jpg

Comment

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
I've recently installed an Optibay with 750GB WD HDD into my new MacBook Pro, alongside the 512GB SSD I got from Apple.

I'm planning to use the 750GB Optibay drive for storing music and video files, since they don't need high performance, and the drive can be allowed to spin down when I'm not listening to music or watching videos, which seems like an ideal arrangement from a power efficiency perspective.

However, by default OS X seems to take about 10 minutes to spin down the drive after it was last accessed. I found a great tip on MacOSXHints.com which describes how to set the system spindown time -- you just open up a Terminal shell and type:

Code:
sudo pmset -a spindown 1

(where 1 is 1 minute; 0 disables entirely).

So now, my Optibay drive spins down one minute after it was last used -- perfect! (Especially good since my MBP is near-silent with the SSD just in use, thanks to Apple's really quiet fans when running at their default 2000rpm, and the WD hard drive in the Optibay is actually quite noisy -- it's an audial relief when it spins down!)

The same tip above can be used to disable spindown if you don't want it to happen.

The only thing I'm wondering is what effect a spindown has on an SSD, if any. The value set using this tip is system-wide, affecting all hard drives, so if a spindown did happen to put the SSD into some sort of powersaving mode that might not be ideal, however, I haven't noticed anything yet.

I was wondering, what's the difference (if any) between "spindown" and "disksleep" commands below? (I found the 2nd command on MacFixIt...)

Code:
sudo pmset -a spindown 1
Code:
sudo pmset -a disksleep 1

I also have a 750GB HDD in optibay and am currently looking for an optimal solution for it, as I don't want to keep listening to its constant "whoosh" sound if not necessary.

Comment

jrabbit

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Yes, the scripts work.

Here's the MountHDD script I use:

Code:
do shell script "diskutil mount /dev/disk1s2"
do shell script "diskutil mount /dev/disk1s3"

Here's the UnmountHDD script I use:

Code:
do shell script "touch /Volumes/'Macintosh Data'/.dummy; 
diskutil eject 'Macintosh Data'"
do shell script "touch /Volumes/BOOTCAMP/.dummy; 
diskutil eject BOOTCAMP"

I use Alfred (v1 + PowerPack rocks), so the mount/unmount are just a couple of keystrokes away.

The only issue I have is that after sleep, the HDD wakes up (but doesn't mount), so to spin it back down I need to run the mount/unmount scripts.

Comment

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Yes, the scripts work.

Here's the MountHDD script I use:

Code:
do shell script "diskutil mount /dev/disk1s2"
do shell script "diskutil mount /dev/disk1s3"

Here's the UnmountHDD script I use:

Code:
do shell script "touch /Volumes/'Macintosh Data'/.dummy; 
diskutil eject 'Macintosh Data'"
do shell script "touch /Volumes/BOOTCAMP/.dummy; 
diskutil eject BOOTCAMP"

I use Alfred (v1 + PowerPack rocks), so the mount/unmount are just a couple of keystrokes away.

The only issue I have is that after sleep, the HDD wakes up (but doesn't mount), so to spin it back down I need to run the mount/unmount scripts.

i was talking about the pmset -a spin down....does that work in lion

Comment

ArmanUV

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
I was wondering, what's the difference (if any) between "spindown" and "disksleep" commands below? (I found the 2nd command on MacFixIt...)

Code:
sudo pmset -a spindown 1
Code:
sudo pmset -a disksleep 1

I also have a 750GB HDD in optibay and am currently looking for an optimal solution for it, as I don't want to keep listening to its constant "whoosh" sound if not necessary.

From pmset's man :
disksleep - disk spindown timer; replaces 'spindown' argument in 10.4
(value in minutes, or 0 to disable)

Comment

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
^^I'm sorry, could you please elaborate on your post? I don't quite understand it.. I was just wondering if "spindown" and "disksleep" are essentially the same thing, or will "spindown" benefit from waking up faster than a disk that was put to "sleep"?

EDIT: by "replaces 'spindown' argument in 10.4" - did you mean that "disksleep" was called "spindown" back on 10.4?

Last edited:
Comment

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
Comment

GammaRayToaster

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
Germany
Being a little confused here.. short question:
when waking my mbp up from sleep my hdd spins up in a SSD+HDD(OptiBay) configuration, the SSD is the system drive, the HDD is unmounted but spinning

does that happen too for the HDD+SDD(OptiBay) configuration?

i'm talking of the simple spinning up and spinning down after a minute, i'd like it to just be unmounted and in stand by (not spinning up at all, not waking up when the laptops woken up, only spinning up when i mount it)

so is this a OptiBay issue or a general issue?

Comment

nlynch77

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2013
Not to restart an old thread, but I might have something to add here.

I have a Crucial M4 in my Optibay and the original 500gb HDD in it's proper slot. I have "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" checked in Energy Saver, pmset -a disksleep 1 set so it sleeps in 1 minute, and I have excluded the HDD from Spotlight indexing.
Spotlight indexing is the biggest problem, causing the drive to restart every 5 minutes. With Spotlight disabled for the drive, it only wakes up when I need it to. I only store large, infrequently used files (movies, games, music) on the HDD so it rarely starts, saving lots of power.

So no need for complicated BASH scripts or anything. This method keeps it accessible too.

I need to keep the drive mounted because I moved the swap file to a dedicated partition on the HDD in order to save SSD life.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.