Spinning Ball, system freeze new issue for my Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FrazzleDazzle, Nov 7, 2009.

1. FrazzleDazzle macrumors newbie

I've seen so many posts about this, but with the limited time I have between system freezes, in desperation I come here.

I'm running Leopard 10.5.8 on desktop IMac. I have plenty of memory, but don't know how to check the hard disk space (I'm an ubernoob). I've run a couple of the mac maintenance programs still to no avail.

I get intermittent SBBOD where NOTHING responds and have to do a hard reboot.

Doesn't matter what applications are up, as even startup is very slow when in SBBOD mode.

Rebooting, then, doesn't resolve the issue.

It runs fine when the SBBOD is not present.

Can someone point me in the direction to an answer for this, please?

Thanks so much in advance!
    FrazzleD

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Make sure you up to date on Software Updates, as always.

Your symptoms point to hardware problem, hard disk being the most likely problem. Do you have backups?

Run the Console and select All Messages. If you see a number of messages referring to disk0s3 or similar, make note of that. It would probably indicate that your problem is hard disk related. You probably should also boot from your system DVD, and run Disk Utility. Do a Repair Disk, and a Repair Permissions.

If you were running Snow Leopard, I'd tell you that what you are seeing is normal and you have to wait for future bug fixes.

3. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I wouldn't call it normal, both my upgrade and clean install of SL worked very well, for some reason upgrading for some people doesn't go well, in that case a clean install is required imo. Hopefully 10.6.2 will fix that.
    Is your system covered by AppleCare?

I'd do some backups of that drive (or at least your important files) just in case it dies.

4. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

5. FrazzleDazzle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your kind responses. I've never looked into the messages through the console before, I could not find any DiscOs3 messages, there were many so maybe they are there somewhere, but I DID find something related to IDisk, which I thought I had removed from my system (I cannot locate any remnant through spotlight search) From the messages, it appears as if some component is still attempting to run. "(IDriveDaemon):no such file or directory" "throttling response" and similar messages. Could this be the culprit? How do I fix this if so? Thank you so much!

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Might try this...

7. FrazzleDazzle thread starter macrumors newbie

Ooops, I meant I have iDrive. I don't use the IDisk.

But, I realized I had not properly uninstalled the iDrive a few weeks ago, by dragging it from the Application into the Trash. ;)

I went ahead and re-installed it from their website and then uninstalled in through their recommended way thru the Applications, Uninstall method.

I rebooted, and shazam, my machine is running fast as ever, and the idrivedaemon is no longer showing in those messages! :D

Thanks guys, for pointing me in the right direction, and saving me much time, frustration, and money.