Spinning Ball/System Hang during internet browsing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nope7308, Jul 9, 2010.

1. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

When I try to switch between tabs in either Safari or Firefox, the system hangs for about 5-10 seconds. This happens VERY frequently. Sometimes it happens when I simply click on a link.

I installed Better Touch Tool (BTT) about 2-3 weeks ago (so I could use gestures to navigate between tabs), which I think is causing the problem (since it is programmed to work in both Safari/Firefox). I used to use MultiClutch and never experienced any of these issues.

So, is the issue limited to BTT, or is it OS X related? How can I fix it?

I did some research, but this doesn't appear to be a common problem and I cannot find a fix. Someone please help me before I trash my computer out of frustration.

2. celticpride678

3. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Thanks. I upgraded to Leopard, so do I need the Leopard disc in order to repair the permissions?

4. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Have you done the obvious? Trash all traces of Better Touch Tool and see if the problem still persists?

5. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Well, I turned off BTT completely, but the problem remained. So, as it turns out, BTT probably is not the culprit. What, exactly, does 'repair disk permissions' do, and would it be of any use in this case?

6. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

OK, now I'm in serious need of help...

As stated in my last post, the problem remains even with BTT turned off completely. The problem is persistent in both Safari and Firefox (both current versions).

I tried to verify and repair the disk permissions via disk utility, but it did absolutely nothing. Sometimes, I get the spinning beach ball when I simply click on a link (everything freezes for 5-20 seconds). Usually everything returns to normal after a short period of time, while other times I have to force quit the application.

Any ideas/suggestions? I really don't know where to begin with this one, since it doesn't seem to be confined to one application in particular.

Someone - anyone - please help me!

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'm getting the same thing, and it appears to be consistent across Safari 5 and Chrome, with or without BTT installed/enabled. I removed it completely, and the problems persisted, so I've now reenabled it. I also get consistently long pauses (with spinning beachball) whenever I try to print, mostly from those same two programs. Watching here for any possible solution, and I'll be happy to offer more information if we want to compare configurations.

jW

8. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Well, it's good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this issue... kind of.

I don't think additional config info would be useful, but do share any fixes you happen to come across. FYI, I just started a thread on the Apple Discussion Forums. You can find the thread here.

9. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

10. halkier macrumors newbie

Spinning Ball/System Hang during internet browsing

Hi, I have the same problem with my 1 year old MacBook Pro. It doesn't matter which browser I use (Safari, Firefox, Chrome).

I don't have any plug ins installed and I have tried to repair permissions - also with Onyx, which I use frequently to do so. Also did the PRAM clearing.

The problem is random and persistent. The only thing I have noticed is that it always seems to occur when clicking a link = spinning ball/freeze and I have to hit power button to reboot....

So, did anyone come up with something..?

PS. I have also tested my RAM. No problems found
    PPS: I have now Ticked off the "Put the hard disks to sleep when possible" thinking that it may be the problem...