Spinning Beach Ball On New MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bulldog3777, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

How long does it last? I am on the Fire Vault page and did not select to set it up.

2. pwm91c macrumors newbie

Had the same problem, I had to restart it and everything went fine after that.

3. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

Neither did I but it beachballed anyway. Give it ~15 minutes. It will go through.

4. massey macrumors newbie

Happened to me as well. I forced a restart but like others on the forum, just give it a little time. I upgraded to the new software and reset the PRAM. I think it helped give it a fresh start.

5. epirali macrumors member

I saw it on initial set up, restarted and it worked. But I have also seen it when Mail app was running, and it blocked all apps UNTIL I forced quit mail.

This tells me there is a firmware issue with the new drive/channel that is blocking the entire kernel. Not good for now, but I'm sure will be fixed with firmware update.

6. hypno macrumors regular

7. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I had the beachball several times during initial setup even on the very first screen. When I got one on FileVault, I restarted and everything went smoother, now finishing FileVault after logging into OS X.

8. destine2grow macrumors member

This is happening to me as well.... I will do some work while I try to wait.

9. bdspilot macrumors newbie

Spinning Beach Ball for 25 minutes after deselecting fire vault. Now updating to 10.10.3.

10. Yamisky0 macrumors member

Took me about 20 minutes with FileVault deselected.

11. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

The software update today seems to have fixed some flakiness that has started for me. I will have to wait and see if the improvement is from update reset or the update actually fixed something.

12. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I was told not to set this up if I didn't absolutely have to.

13. newellj macrumors 601

From another thread, see bolded portion:

14. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

FireVault encrypts your data in case someone steals your laptop. I don't think I'll disable it when I get mine.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I have been doing a lot of side by side with this mac and the rMBP. Obviously the pro will be more powerful, but I am noticing significantly more lag with the rMB. Even a simple thing like viewing photos is the photos app has noticable lag. I love the damn keyboard so much though.

16. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

Did you get the 1.1? I'm not getting any lag on Photos with the 1.2 and we have a lot of pictures. I'm also switching back and forth between the rMB and my 2012 rMBP 13 and if anything, the rMB feels snappier. Even the animations are more fluid.

17. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

FWIW, I'm not getting any lag at all on mine, and I've got the base model.

I DID have some minor stutter in webpages while I was setting it up, but you have to realize it was indexing, I had several programs simultaneously installing, I was streaming Spotify, and I was doing the system updates.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

it is the 1.1

I really think it is the same UI lag that I experience on the rMBP. Maybe I am just more critical of the rMB b.c I have them both, and am mentally messing with myself haha.

I again cannot stress enough how much I love this keyboard. I basically just want to type stuff to type stuff for no reason at all....

I may have to reformat. I am having the read/write speeds others mentioned. Since updating to 10.10.3 the speed for read/write are 80/150 :(

19. newellj macrumors 601

Those speeds are way too low - something's not right. :(

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

they were 500/1000, and as soon as I updated to 10.10.3 they dropped.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

My neighbor brought over his new Macbook so I could help them install his software and we saw the spinning ball way too much! We declined Firevault . . . . . .

He emailed me later last night and said that his images in dropbox were taking "forever" to sync. He is not a happy camper:rolleyes:

22. newellj macrumors 601

This is what I'm getting on 10.10.3 with FV2 enabled:

[​IMG]

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

ok, I will definitely reformat when I get home.

----------

I turned off file vault and that seems to have helped. I let the app run for about 30 seconds and they hit those normal speed 400/800

24. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Bad advise FileVault is a security feature and has no effect on real world performance with a modern Mac, as encryption/decryption is dealt predominantly by hardware.

Q-6

25. jjfcpa macrumors member

Beach balled me too. I had to do a shut down and start over. Had created my home folder so I had to use a different name, let it setup, then delete the original incomplete folder and rename the new one with the wrong name. Not a big deal, but frustrating.

After that, everything seemed to work ok.