Spinning Beach Ball when using Adobe products.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macuser1232, Aug 2, 2012.

1. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro 13inch i5 processor with 8gb of ram and whenever I use adobe products such as Photoshop, Motion 5, Final Cut Pro X, and After Effects, I always get a spinning beach ball when I start the application. Also for some reason when I export something in Motion 5 it will export it but it would also freeze at 2% left and then quit. So my question is am I supposed to be having the spinning beach ball? I do remember hearing someone tell me that you should never have to see the spinning beach ball.

2. GGJstudios, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Beachballing occurs when the system or an app is too busy to respond, or is hung up. With 8GB of RAM, you wouldn't expect to get those as often, but Adobe products are notorious for being resource hogs. You may want to close any other non-essential apps/widgets/processes while running such apps. If you want to get a picture of what's going on:
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

3. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

This is my screen shot. Fortunately I did not receive a beach ball but I can bet I will some other time.

Attached Files:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Note step 2, in bold text.

5. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

This picture is without an Adobe Application opened. Notice the same amount of free ram is shown.

Attached Files: