Spinning beach ball while checking email? uMBP 15"...wtf?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MB98XJ, Aug 9, 2009.

1. MB98XJ macrumors member

MB98XJ

I had three web pages open. The North Face, Youtube, and AOL.

I clicked on my email and I got the spinning beach ball. Couldn't do anything. Couldn't click on anything. Let it sit there for about 5 minutes and tried to quit using the keyboard. Didn't work. I had to use the power button and restart with a force quit. What's up with that? I just bought this MacBook Pro 10 days ago. It is brand new. Any advice? Is there something wrong with my mac?

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Youtube could have spiked the CPU/RAM usage because it uses Flash, which sucks on every platform except for Windows, and from there it beach balled. If this happens a lot everyday, then yes, this could be a problem with your hard drive or something. If not, this could have been a fluke. Try to recreate the environment before you power cycled the MBP and see if it happens again.

I don't know if you are new to Macs, but OS X isn't bug free by any means. Usually a restart or forced-restart helps. But if the problem is persistent after a restart, then you may have some problems.

3. CoolJoe57 macrumors newbie

CoolJoe57

This has nothing to do with the flash on youtube. I have been experiencing the same problems. I have a June 09' macbook pro, and I suppose you do too. I believe the problem has to do with the Hard Drive clicks and Beeps people have, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=727453&page=7, and the beach ball problem other users (including me) have, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=739790. I've tried everything on that second link, and I thought post #26 fixed the beach ball problem, but it didn't as the beach balls returned after about two weeks.

Firstly, I somehow don't have the hard drive beep problem with my 7200rpm drive. But some users who have the beep, also report beach balling. So I think my macbook pro does have beach balls, with no beeps. Also, I have been led to conclude that all of the june macbook pro's, not just the ones with the 7200rpm hard drives, have the freeze problem. My random beach balls vary from 15 seconds, to once over 5min (which made me hold the power button like you) I have tried everything I could find on these damn beach balls. I believe this to be a problem in the firmware of all the June macbooks. Apple did release a firmware update which fixed the SATA speed problem, but maybe that update could be the cause of the beach balls, since they were rushed to fix it by the many complaining people online.

So, what should people like you and me do? Well I think we should sit tight, and wait. Apple knows EVERYTHING about there computers. They're just very quiet. As mentioned here, http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._to_fix_bothersome_beeps_in_macbook_pros.html, it seems apple is "highly" aware of the beeps (and beach balls). If you watch the last video on that link, you see the computer freeze for a second. I believe this is a variation of what is happening to us. So I'm not worried AT ALL that my very expensive investment is having hiccups, as I know apple is on top of everything, and will defiantly fix this, as soon as they can. Don't worry, just update your machine whenever the next updates are available.

Also, as I have mentioned many times, everything here is just what I believe. It could be wrong, and you don't have to listen, since there could be more to this. But for now, it's the best answer on this issue for me.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Using Safari, Firefox or other?

I've seen Firefox spike sometimes, but i'd agree with CoolJoe57 - A general sporadic random beachballing has been associated with some 7,200rpm HD 2009 MBPs.Is this the model you have? (It might not be contained to just the 7,200rpm models).

5. Sdancott macrumors regular

Sdancott

I'm having this issue too.

Usually when i'm using iPhoto or iTunes (I've noticed it usually happens when I double-click a photo to enlarge it)

I hope it gets resolved soon - the hangs can be quite long.

Oh - and I have the 7200 drive too with no clicks or beeps

6. MB98XJ thread starter macrumors member

MB98XJ

I have the June 2009 15" 2.53 Ghz 250 gig hard drive. Not upgraded or anything, and I was using Safari. Youtube was playing a 4 minute song, and the beach ball occurred when I clicked "1 new message" on my AOL email page.

Yes, I am new to Mac's. Just thought it was odd that the computer froze and wouldn't let me do anything. Just went from working perfectly and no lag to spinning beach ball.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If it continues to do that I would recommend to reinstall the OS or do a complete reformat and install.

8. CoolJoe57 macrumors newbie

CoolJoe57

you guys are ridiculous. Wait for the update that will fix this

9. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

lol, i was thinking the same thing.