Spinning beach ball

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Lukewilde, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Lukewilde macrumors newbie

Every now and then i am still getting the beach ball while using illustrator mainly, not had it in photoshop yet. I do not understand why this is happening, my Mac has 16gb ram and a 2.4ghz i7, i always check how much of the ram and cpu is being used and the max ram that has been used in total is around 10gb and the CPU never goes above maybe 10%.

So no idea why this would happen.. any ideas? still keep forgetting to save my work regularly so think i've lost a few hours work again.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Also, click on the System Memory tab at the bottom. Then take a screen shot, scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot and post them.

3. Lukewilde thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

There are quite a lot of processes which are just at 0.01%

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You didn't click on the System Memory tab at the bottom, but here are some ideas to help improve performance:

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

5. Lukewilde thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Missed that part, I don't understand why photoshop and illustrator are using so much memory, at the time of that screenshot nothing is open in photoshop so i would of thought it wouldn't even be using half the memory it is. Also do you know what kernal_task will be? as it's using almost 1gb and i don't know what it is.

Thanks.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Adobe products are notorious resource hogs. Sadly, it's normal. However, you're not paging out, so your RAM appears to be sufficient.
    That's Mac OS X.

7. Lukewilde thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, i just didn't expect my mac to have this problem with the specs it has, and after being told many time 8gb RAM would be enough i am glad i decided to get 16gb anyway seeing as it is almost at 9gb most days.

8. jackrv macrumors 6502

Are you getting the beach ball after performing a specific task in Illustrator consistantly? Such as a resize or something?