Spinning beach ball

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac and me, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Mac and me macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have registered in hope someone may be able to offer help or advice. I've had my iMac i5 for around 4 months now. Im new to mac and first impressions were wow this thing is quick. Recently the machine has become very very slow with the ball coming on launch with limited apps running. I have run the hardware test and verified the hard drive disc, I have also opened terminal when the problem exhibits itself checking CPU with nothing above 5% also in excess of 2g of free ram available.
    I don't vist torrent sites with all software purchased or sourced from legitimate sites. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If the AHT reports all is well, then it could be a logic board issue....Since it's such a new machine, book an appointment, Apple will sort this out for you and there isn't any point in trying to fix it yourself, unless you want to perform a clean install Of OSX which might resolve the issue.

3. Mac and me thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Thanks for prompt response

I was hoping it may be software related as the nearest apple store to me is quite a drive. I was looking to exhaust all avenues before taking the mac back.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I guess a clean install of Mountain Lion is your best DIY shot. If that fails, then Apple it is I'm afraid. Hope it works out.

5. Mac and me thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for your prompt response. I guess an external HD is called for to back up data.

Better order it on the iPad as the mac will take three times as long :confused:

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes, back up all you can....If the clean install won't work, then a replacement will be Apple's usual course of action.

7. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

You could use an external HD, a time capsule, dropbox account...another mac/ipad - have a good look around for the dest option for you

8. Mac and me thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers

Before I commit to a re-installation does anyone have any further suggestions I could try. Program checks etc? I believe macs are more simplistic than windows based, but after 4 months I hoped it was somthing less drastic

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

What apps have you installed? sometimes the apps can get in the way.

10. Mac and me thread starter macrumors newbie

Several however it crashes with none of them running. The apps are mostly video editing and download
    Handbrake
    Get I player
    Utube downloader
    Are the only ones not from the app store. I have removed all but handbrake but still the problem persists. Frustrating as it looks like a system reinstallation.

11. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

Back up your hard drive.
    I got the spinning beach ball freeze ups, and a few days later, the hard drive died for good.

Of course it could be something else, but it's a good idea to back up.