Spinning beachball (and pointer) every time I do something in Finder

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by MoodyM, Aug 2, 2014.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I have a Mac Mini (latest model, only a few months old).

I use it as a Media Centre. It has a few external USB drives connected with all my media.

Every time I try to do something in Finder, every time I double click a folder/drive, I get a spinning beach ball with the mouse pointer still showing (pointing to the middle of the beach ball). It only lasts a few seconds, then everything seems normal.

It seems to happen no matter which drive the said file/folder is on (including the internal HDD).

I've got a SMART utility running (with driver installed so it can see external USB drives) and they all report clean health.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Not sure if this will help in your case but anytime I have finder beach balls, I use Activity Monitor to force quit finder--when it restarts itself, all is fine (in my case anyway). This happens to me occasionally after several weeks of running my MacBook without a restart.

3. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Thanks, will try it, not sure it'll help cos my Mac Mini gets restarted fairly regularly anyway

4. !!! macrumors 6502

You may need to delete all of the cache, then reinstall.

5. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Thanks, how do I do that?

6. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

before you get into deleting cached files, or reinstalling the OS:

try running the mini with NO usb drives running. see how that goes.
    if it's good, try adding the usb drives in, one at a time. see if anything changes...

perhaps the drives (or one of them), has spun down, and is now spinning up...
    then letting you access files.

just a thought... :cool:

7. terryblyth macrumors regular

When I had this problem on my iMac, it was a faulty hard drive (not that any of the internal tests picked it up). I would make sure you've got backups of everything, just in case.