Spinning Beachball on .ac3 files - Any tips?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by allan_zip, Mar 4, 2008.

1. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

Ok some annoying behaviour here.
    I'm getting the spinning beachball whenever i select an .ac3 file in columns view with the preview option on. It goes on forever while trying to generate a preview for the .ac3 file, which it can't because an .ac3 file needs to be decoded to play, it won't even just show the file icon and be done with it, so i end up having to relaunch the finder. It dosn't happen with the preview option in finder disabled but i like my previews and want them there. The default 'open with' application for .ac3 files on my system is dvd studio pro and i cant change this because everytime i go to 'get info' the finder tries to generate a preview and the ball starts up again.
    Anybody got any tips for a workaround on this, i'm working on a project at the minute and have all my previews switched off which is a bit of a nuisance. If anyone could give me a workaround for switching off preview for only particular file extensions that would be great.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sounds like Quick Look is having trouble with the .ac3 file which is understandable as Quick Time doesnt support AC3 natively. try installing Perian which allows Quick Time to decode AC3.

3. allan_zip thread starter macrumors regular

allan_zip

Cheers.
    Yeah, i have Perian installed already. Not sure why this is so screwy.