Spinning Blue Ball on Mac?

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Hey I was just on youtube when I noticed a spinning blue ball with a mini cursor attached to it instead of my regular mouse when I was on youtube. What is this? It's similar to the rainbow beach ball except it's blue and shows a little pointer.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Hey I was just on youtube when I noticed a spinning blue ball with a mini cursor attached to it instead of my regular mouse when I was on youtube. What is this? It's similar to the rainbow beach ball except it's blue and shows a little pointer.
ive seen this a few times i think its just the beachball for certain tasks or programs

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
ive seen this a few times i think its just the beachball for certain tasks or programs
I upgraded to Mountain Lion recently from Snow Leopard and I never have gotten it before. Do you think it has anything to do with my Mac being slow? I mean I have a 2011 13-inch Macbook Pro i5 8gb of ram.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I upgraded to Mountain Lion recently from Snow Leopard and I never have gotten it before. Do you think it has anything to do with my Mac being slow? I mean I have a 2011 13-inch Macbook Pro i5 8gb of ram.
ya it i never seen in on Lion so its most likely new to ML, i dont think its any more of a beach ball than the rainbow one not sure why now some tasks have that blue one

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
It's normal.
+1

Short of all regular bottlenecks, your computer isn't slow. It's that flash is crap. Pause the video for 5 sec after it starts loading and it should fix itself, but everyone has this issue.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
+1

Short of all regular bottlenecks, your computer isn't slow. It's that flash is crap. Pause the video for 5 sec after it starts loading and it should fix itself, but everyone has this issue.
Thanks. Roll Tide.

JohnMantooth

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
New York, NY
I got this when I launched Photoshop today. Never saw it in Lion, so it's definitely a Mountain Lion thing. But it's not related to JS or Flash, because I saw it for the first time in Photoshop.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Starting to get this as well. Not sure why. It appears for just a second, sometimes while I'm just typing in a Safari window. Very odd..

(2012 iMac 10.8.2)

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I'm on Mountain Lion 10.8.3, which was not a clean install but rather an upgrade to Lion. I just started noticing this. First I noticed it only in Safari. But recently my computer came to a standstill. Not crashed, but things that would take 1 second were taking 10 minutes. Like just closing a window, for example. I had finally closed and saved everything so I could restart, and I noticed the cursor with blue ball even showing up in the Finder.

I saw one other thread on MR say it might have to do with Java, but I don't think I have Java installed.