Spinning disc in SL 10.6.8 Early 2011

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

I see the spinning disc much more now than I ever used to. Still on SL 10.6.8, and MBP early 2011, 2.3 GHz dual-core i5, 320 GB hard drive, 4 GB RAM, but opening browsers, whatever, I didn't always used to see this unless there was a glitch or something in maybe Photoshop, but now it's a regular player. Anything obvious I can do so speed things up or is it the age of the laptop now?

2. RockPortTech macrumors regular

Hi Peter, i do not think it is your hardware at all, i am on a '05 Mac Mini with a 1.42 G4 PPC processor and 1Gb ram so you far outshine me, i suspect it has to do perhaps with your browser. Have you tried a different browser or perhaps checked to see if there are any updates for the software you use most?

Often times as well new updates can make certain applications worse too, but i would initially check for any updates to your system/applications. Best of luck, but again i do not think you have slow hardware at all as i rarely get the dreaded bouncing beach ball on 10.5.8 Leopard.

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, updates for Safari on 10.6.8 were stopped a long time ago, and it comes up with 'browser out of date' quite a lot, but I also use Chrome, and this is even slower than Safari most of the time.

You don't still get updates for Safari or 10.5.8 do you?
    Pretty sure all updates for 10.6.8 stopped a long time ago, not just Safari.

4. RockPortTech macrumors regular

Hi Peter, no I still have Safari 5.0.6 actually but use TenFourFox (SO much better on my G4 Mac Mini). But even with my old Safari, it could still do YouTube and such if I turn the resolution of the videos low.

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

you don't see any Apple updates now either I presume?

Not even heard of that browser.... Think it's a bit out of order that Google changed their page so if you are on my version of Safari, it's now not viewable as it should be and forces you to download Chrome. I actually still prefer Safari, but Google have messed with it so you can't use it easily any more on their pages and Gmail.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

7. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Not a fan of Firefox. I just wish Safari would update the 5.1.10, but it's never going to happen sadly

8. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Upgrade your RAM to 8GB, and your 320GB HDD to SSD...

I'm on 10.6.8, no beachball...

9. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Isn't that a big deal to get sorted? Are there any disadvantages to SSD?

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Have you tried restarting the Mac? Especially on Snow Leopard and earlier, OS X builds up Virtual Memory Swap Files, which when they get big, can really slow things down. The way to delete them is to reboot. If your performance improves after the reboot then that was your problem.

11. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Are we talking more technical than shutting down every night, which I already do anyway. I don't leave it on. The battery is horrendous, even in sleep mode it loses as much as if it was physically on. Or are you suggesting something else?

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I was about to say no, when you dropped the factoid about the battery losing charge in sleep mode as quickly as if it was awake. That should not happen. This leads me to suspect that you have some background process going berserk. I'd run Activity Monitor to see if you can figure it out, though this isn't easy.

13. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll see if anything becomes apparent but it probably won't be, to me anyway