Spinning gear at the bar on top - location

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ATC, Aug 22, 2010.

1. ATC macrumors 6502a

I'm new to the iPhone 4. I've had it now for 4 days and absolutely love this phone.

One thing I've noticed that I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere is that when data is being used there's a spinning gear that appears on the bar at the top. For the most part the location of that gear is between the 3G symbol and the clock, just left of centre. But I've noticed today for a few hours it was consistently appearing on the right side, just to the the left of the Battery indicator. And now it's back again between the 3G symbol and the clock.

Is there a reason for this location swap? Is it random or is something specific setting it that way?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The status bar icons move around the clock if their side doesn't have enough space for them. The left side must not have had enough space for the gear. I've noticed it as well and cannot find a pattern for it.

3. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

do you have a micro cell, maybe thats why because it should say m-cell and therefore cant fit. btw, i have noticed it as well but can pinpoint it. its not a setting because i havent changed any when it moves

4. ATC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies.

nunes013, what's a micro cell? Is that a carrier? If so, mine is Rogers (in Canada) and it says ROGERS before 3G.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A mirco-cell is like a WiFi hotspot but it does cellular signals instead. They plug into your high speed internet connection.

6. ATC thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

microcell is from att, i couldnt see where you were from so i assumed att, sorry. if you see the picture this is what i meant by squished lol

Attached Files:

8. draz macrumors 6502a

Rogers doesn't have micro cell. But I have Rogers too and the gear only goes to the right side when I am on WiFi. When I am on 3G it stays on the left side all the time.

I have a feeling it is space, but somehow it looks like 3G takes more space than the WiFi symbol.... but whatever, it still works :p

9. ATC thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is a screen shot of mine showing both locations:

[​IMG]

I didn't have wifi enabled or anything else today but still somehow it went to the right side for a few hours, appears to be random but for the most part its parked on the left of the clock.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You might want to edit that post and make the picture an attachment like nunes013. Pasting the picture right in isn't very nice to those with a sticky connection.

11. ATC thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're right. Done.

12. ATC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well just an update, finally figured out exactly what was causing this. It's the clock. When it's a two-digit hour (10, 11 or 12) it would bump the spinning gear to the far right by the battery indicator. When it's a single digit hour, it's back to the left of the clock. So it's all just space management by the OS.

13. draz macrumors 6502a

HAHA when I saw the gear thing this morning I thought of this thread :p
    Because mine was doing the same thing this morning ;)