Spinning pinwheel and desktop images cycling

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slope, Jun 30, 2011.

1. slope macrumors newbie

I am on the road, and trying to get some work done. But getting fast cycling desktop images, spinning pinwheel/beach ball and the dock is popping up and down.

It all started yesterday after I updated win live messenger on one of my Windows VMs in Parallels. It hung the machine, so I forced a reboot with the power button. On the reboot, was when the issues started.

I managed to get the system stable by zapping the PRAM. But this morning, when I went back into a VM, it started again. I have zapped the PRAM and still not working well.

I boot up fine, but as soon as all toolbar icons are visible and the boot seems complete, I have the desktop images cycling ever 5 seconds (set to 15 minutes in preferences) and the dock appearing and disappearing on it's own. If I hover over bottom of screen, it does not show. I have tried to do basic work for awhile, but spinning pinwheel started up in a browser window. Now machine is hung up again

I just installed the latest SL update 2.5 days ago.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Do you have problems if you log in as a different user?

3. slope thread starter macrumors newbie

When I use the guest account, it does not seem to be an issue. So the answer to your question appears to be "no"

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

Then this means the computer itself is not likely the cause of the issue, and the operating system itself is also likely fine. Whatever the issue is, it's contained somewhere within your home directory. It could be corrupt preferences, or it could be something launching in your login items that's causing these issues.