Spinning Pinwheel detectice story!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cheeryble, Dec 21, 2008.

1. cheeryble macrumors regular

Macbook running OSX 10 4 11

Hi there I need some help please.

I have a Macbook running 10.4.11.
    Last month I upped the RAM and it is now maxxed out at 2 gb. Things were fast and clean. I installed Virtualbox a while ago and it runs Windows faultlessly.

I am going to put a a couple of posts I put elsewhere as I got some answers for myself.........

Just the last few days I have been getting the spinning beachball, reminiscent of my old low RAM iBook when it couldn't keep up. It sticks around for an annoying amount of time......can be minutes.....and often freezes things up all round.....often cannot close other apps than the one I'm in down.....and can happen in any app.

I never had this before on the Macbook, it is definitely a change with a cause.

Apart from Virtualbox I haven't been using anything terribly onerous.
    I added Macspeech a month ago which is quite meaty but this didn't start in any way obviously related to that. I have plenty of HD space. I have had the beachball without Virtualbox open.
    +++++++
    OK since that I have run Applejack and done a hardware self test from the install disk.....all OK.....but still had problem (intermittently it seems.) I have also reset the PRAM thogu that should not be the issue as it hits both pairs of RAM I've had in there (unless something in the system has a tendency to be malicious to any PRAM whcih happens to be there).

I then was advised by the Apple shop here in Chiangmai Thailand that they would take my Macbook for a couple of days and check by replacement the RAM, the HD, and the motherboard.
    As things can get very slow around these parts I took it away and swapped the RAM back for the sticks I took out, the 2x512. It ran OK for a while but then same again, freeze-ups (although this is all running OK right now and it seems to often be typing which triggers freezes.)

I am now wondering whether to complete an upgrade I have been meaning to do up to 10.5.
    Would this be a possibility, could it be the system, or is this a silly move and I'm better looking at hardware? (And can the hardware test I did be inaccurate?)

thanx for all advice!
    Cheeryble

2. shwc macrumors regular

Are you hooked up to any networked drives?

10.4 had serious problems with network drive communications. The finder would freeze (i.e., beachball) for minutes if the finder encountered communication problems with networked drives (e.g., dropped communications, waking from sleep, etc). This freezing problem has been fixed in 10.5.X

beachball during network problems
    beachball upon wake from sleep

3. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

I just have my wireless .........just had two minute freezeup:eek:.......and again....just have my wireless router and me. This also happens when I am outside home.
    Guess that rules out the network thing...

thanx anyway

4. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

Further news (and problems of course!)

I slotted the 10.5 install disk and tried through disk utility to send it to my WD 1TB HD which I had partitioned 8 ways.
    After a half hour I got a message saying

restore failure-could not restore-input/output error

Can anyone enlighten me about this. I don't even know what it means :confused:

cheers Cheeryble

5. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I'm by far no expert, but when my iMac HDD started failing I had the same problem w/ beachballing and was unable to restore or even reinstall, so it's possible your HDD is on it's last leg, but if you did verify the disk and it said it was OK then I'm not sure, so maybe someone else can answer your question on if the disk check could have been inaccurate. My advice though-make sure your back up(s) is up to date.

6. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

For everyone's information I just had the HD changed.
    As a last ditch safety measure I had tried transferring my whole disk to an external with Carbon Copy Cloner. It got to about 19gb out of 30 gb, whcih took 7 hours with stoppages, then crapped out. Unfortunately most user data is I believe towards the end of the download and I lost a lot. The screen was then frozen.
    Apple Chiangmai could not even open the replacement 2 month old drive with Drive Genius.
    I am somewhat peeved at their necessity to order a new drive from Singapore taking a week (I am under extended warranty) the same as last time. HD failures are amazingly common it seems. I went down the road and came back with a new 320gb drive in 20 minutes costing me 2500baht (about $65) and they put it in and installed 10.5.
    Everything seemed fine. I was somewhat horrified this morning when on playing a TEDTALKS video I got the spinning disk again twice. Please God or the Muppet monster it was not related.
    Thanx again fro helping and I'll be back if more spins....

cheers Cheeryble