Spinning rainbow ball from sleep

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by roadkill401, Jan 19, 2015.

1. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

I setup an imac for my daughter and wife. The unit is a i5 base model with 4gb of ram installed.

My daughter mostly uses the machine and does web browsing and plays her Sims game. After she is done just turns off the monitor and leaves the unit alone.

Over the past couple of days we have found when we turn the monitor back on, we are greeted with a spinning rainbow ball cursor that will move around fine but doesn't do much else. The only option is to hold the power button and force the mac to turn off. it works fine afterwards.

I am wondering if this machine is just simply complaining about not having enough memory and is getting stuck in limbo with swaps ? or if there is something else that I need to consider. The unit has got about 4 months left in the warranty but I don't have apple care so there is zero phone support left.

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

What version of OS X are you running? Apparently 10.10.0 had an issue like this but it was fixed in 10.10.1.

3. roadkill401 thread starter macrumors 6502

roadkill401

I am pretty sure that it is the latest version of Yosemite 10.10.1

I honestly wish I had not upgraded this mac from Mavericks ... and now after all the family apps and stuff is loaded, trying to go back would just about do me in.