Spinning wheel but no shut down MBP Early '11

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dougis.me, Jul 27, 2011.

1. dougis.me macrumors newbie

Right, new MBP few weeks old, SL was great, boot up less than ten seconds, shut down less seconds than I have fingers!

Last few days it's slow as starting up -25 30 (Lions been on it a week) shutdown appears to be the wheel.... But never shuts down.

Verified permissions and there was a shed load, repaired, tested no resolve it wont shut down, just the wheel.

I do have Time Machine on it (gets plugge in at night) it has Kaspersky on it (I work in IT and the corporate AV is ****, so wanted to be carefull with all my USB drive use etc. Its had 8gb RAM in it, but the Apple Samsung 10600 pc3 1333 stuff, nothing random.

Any ideas?

2. mdnz macrumors regular

Boot up your MBP while holding Command + V. After that, shut down and take a photo or paste the line of text where it hangs.

3. dougis.me thread starter macrumors newbie

Will do, but short term fix was turn off time machine, boom back off in 10 seconds from hitting shutdown... I'll bang back on time machine and get a screenshot as cant be turning on and off time machine everytime I want to backup/shutdown etc...

4. Uffish Thought macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have the same problem, and tried the same fixes. Genius Bar diagnostics said it's my 750 GB HDD that needs replacing. After a month, and a couple missed steps at the local Apple store, it's going in tonight for replacement.

I'm running SL. I'll ask them to drop Lion on for me while the're at it :)

5. dougis.me thread starter macrumors newbie

sod's law... looks like the combination of repairing permissions, then turning off time machine for a reboot has fixed it. Time machine is back on and now booting/shutting down as norm, bug in Time Machine on Lion? Hmmm... ;)