Spinning Wheel crashes at start up, Not an error with actual hard drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Uddername, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Uddername macrumors newbie

I recently bought a second hand macbook pro 2009. The guy told me it worked fine but you couldn't update the Operating System. I was okay with this because we agreed it must be a hard drive issue and i wanted to replace it with a 1tb SSHD anyway. I tried to enter disk utility to wipe the original 160gb hard drive, but like the guy said, the spinning wheel would just crash. So i installed my new 1000tb SSHD and the exact same thing happen, i insert a Mavericks USB, hold Option, click on the bootable USB and the spinning wheel starts and then stops.

The only way i was able to wipe the 160gb using disk utility was doing it through my iMac and having the Macbook in Target mode.

I know it's not a hard drive issue, as i bought three of these SSHD's and the other two worked fine. Would it be the hard drive cable or something else?

Thanks.

2. Uddername thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Laco macrumors 6502

You may not want to hear this. But personally, if possible I would return the computer and ask for my money back.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Oxymoron, if you can't update the OS then it has a serious fault. As you purchased it knowing it had that fault you may not be able to return it. If you can, I would.

5. Uddername thread starter macrumors newbie

Would be difficult to return it. I just assumed the hard drive was damaged. I will see what the genius's at the Apple Store say and if it's an expensive fix, i'll sell it as parts or spares.