Spinning Wheel of Death

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jimmiray, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Jimmiray macrumors newbie

Has any one else been having their system hang or take longer than usual to complete tasks? Since the 10.6.3 update I seem to be seeing more of the spinning wheel than usual, plus I've had to do hard resets on both my MacBook Pro and iMac.

2. Jeanne-W macrumors newbie

Mine is taking a really long time to boot up, load pages, shut down etc etc.
    I have been watching the posts, since I haven't learned how to tweak things myself on a mac yet I downloaded onyx as so many here were suggesting it. ran it but no help at all.

it takes safari 25 seconds to load initially and way to long opening web pages.
    sometimes I have to hit refresh over and over to get a page to even load.
    I am sorry I updated :(

If anybody can offer suggestions in newby "speak" they would be greatly appreciated.

June 2009 macbook pro 13" w/snow leopard

3. Jimmiray thread starter macrumors newbie

Grrrr.....

I have had faster boot ups for sure, but over all it seems like my machines have slowed down.

4. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I can't offer any specifics but I suspect that some inappropriate settings are causing the slowdown.

In Safari you could try to empty the cache or even do a reset and see if that helps.

Last summer I had a system that was performing like that. Launching took a long time, web pages opened slowly.

I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled OS X from scratch. After that system performance was great. Same OS, same applications.

There could be a simpler way to do this, if one knew what to do.